Are There Improvements that Can Be Easily and Quickly Made Without Buying More Stuff?

I appreciate that there are many people on this forum who have put a great deal of thought and effort into how to improve their audio systems.  Most of the discussion relates to upgrading equipment.  This is natural as most people here want to improve their music experience, and better equipment is a way to do that.  I’ve taken advantage of this and made 5 or 6 upgrades over the last year!  The result has been great!  But are there some simple steps that can be taken that can be overlooked by someone who is newer to audio?

As examples I’ve read that facing a sub towards something like the back of a couch will improve its sound.  And for rooms with bad effects that can’t be fixed, move the listening position closer to the speakers.

‘What is your best tip for improving sound quality without buying anything?

128x128tcotruvo

IMO the best way to improve your sound is to upgrade the parts in your existing components.  Most parts are average at best.  Simple replacement of power supply caps from the old blue caps to Nichicon will improve your sound beyond most cables or power cords, room treatment or AC products.  Upgrade output capacitors to V-Caps another level.  Upgrade resistors to Takman, Amtrans, Audio Note, etc.

Happy Listening. 

Ensure routing of wires is neat and tidy. If power cables must intersect with signal cables, make it at a 90 deg angle for as little interference as possible. 

Make sure speaker wires are tight. Check that all woofers, midranges and tweeters are tight in their respective locations and that none of the mounting fasteners have rattled loose. 

If a high current amplifier is being routed through a surge protector, bypass the protector and plug the amplifier directly into the wall outlet. 

I really appreciate all the suggestions. It gives me a lot to work with.  This forum has been a great resource for advice.

@joshua43214 

On isolation, my 2 subs are sitting on thick recycled rubber pads made to be used for outdoor patio blocks.  Each of my speakers are sitting on four rubber feet that were made for a big commercial espresso grinder.  All are on a concrete slab with no basement below.

@wturkey 

The speakers are powered and plugged into wall outlets.  Same for the 2 subwoofers.  I did a bit more cable management as you suggested.  But I could drill out another hole in the back of my cabinet for power cords to separate them from interconnects.  Good idea and free!  I’ll also open the speakers and make sure that all fasteners are tight.  All my cables are tight.

@immatthewj 

Everything is on 1 circuit, using 4 different wall and floor outlets - since all the speakers and subs are powered and in separate locations they each have their own outlet.