Experience buying from Europe?

I’m looking to buy a European-made turntable. I can save about $1500 if I buy it from a European online retailer. About 33% savings. The sellers I have found are legit authorized dealers of the brand, and have solid history and ratings. The savings includes the shipping cost.

Just wondering from those who have actual experience buying like this. I know the pitfalls might be duty/taxes, shipping damage, and potential warranty/service issues. The unit comes with switchable voltage, no worries there. So, I understand the risks.

My research says there will be no duty, agree? HTS code 8519.30.20.00. I live in a very rural area with no dealer in a huge radius, so it is not an option for me to just go buy one and pick it up. Does anyone know I can get warranty service in the US if it fails under warranty?

Are the savings worth the risks? …. I’m leaning yes.

gemoody

No problems buying from UK, Italy, and Austria for me. Return shipping might be a drag though.

I've bought a lot.  Good chance when something that expensive goes through customs it will be held up a while and then you'll get a bill for perhaps $30 to $50.  I usually get the bill after I've already gotten the item.  The shipping company pays it for you as a courtesy and bills you, supposedly without markup. 

I buy from England, Scotland and the Netherlands often.

Have also bought from Poland, Norway, Ukraine, Romania with no problems.

How much is the turntable worth? For instance, If it is $15K I don’t think it is worth it. It depends also on your personality.

I have purchased solid state electronics from Germany. I bought a CD player from Canada and over ten years had to send it back three times for repair. For me, I draw the line at mechanical. I would prefer to have local representation if mechanics are involved.

My rule of thumb is, if the transaction is a complete disaster and I loose it all and I can say, “oops, a learning moment” and move on without regret then I’ll do it. There is enough stress in my life, don’t need to add more.

Typically the reason you save the money on buying on the gray market is you loose the warrantee. 

It sounds like a legit dealer and the only likely problem is if there is a defect, or it is damaged somehow. Turntables are delicate instruments. Now, this is me… I don’t mess with them. For the last thirty years I have owned audiophile turntables. I don’t mess with them. I am a klutz, I do not have a great deal of patience… so I know myself. I have a dealer… he comes to my house to fiddle with it. If I lived in the middle of nowhere and wanted a TT, I would take a trip (500 miles if required) to a dealer.