Thoughts on Moving Up From Denafrips Terminator / GAIA DDC

I sold the combo a couple months back and just can’t seem to find a worthy replacement. I liked the presentation in the most part but felt it a little lacking in air and resolution.

I’ve considered a move up to the T+, since mine was the original with upgraded DSP board, but I feel at this point I should experience something new.

The list of potential candidates seems almost endless so I’d really like to hear from someone who can speak from actually having moved to a better DAC from the Denafrips.

My budget is $5-7k, used.

I’m using a SMG i5, Sonore UltraRendu / UltraDigital

cheers!

128x128rooze

streaming is worth it in my view, despite some of the challenges

cd's at redbook resolution has its own

the world of music at one’s fingertips is the immense benefit to streaming, truly a music lover’s paradise

I don’t stream from sites like Tidal. My SMG i5 is a file server and I’ve around 7tb of music stored on a usb drive. I’ve a mix of 44.1 through DSD512, etc.
I use an old OPPO 95 as a CD transport for occasional use of physical media, but mostly I rip files from cd to the network storage or occasionally download hi-res music from sites like HD Tracks.

I like the look of the Weiss dacs but haven’t seen a used one show up in weeks, other than a unit that’s located in Europe.

I really like the look of the Berkeley Reference dacs, though they seem to attract mixed reviews. Not that looks are important, but the Berkeley dacs do appear to be rock solid designs.

I’m open to all options but I’ve made a LOT of system changes in the past year or two and I’m tiring of the process. So I’d really like to hold out for something that’s widely considered to be an improvement on the Terminator, and not something that’s just the latest flavor of the month.