Hi Res from iPhone vs AppleTV sound

Not well versed in digital music.

I’m retiring my iPhone 7+ and thought I’d get a camera connection kit and usb cable and run the phone as a high res playback direct to my DAC.

it’s running into a Schiit Modeus.

My AppleTV doesn’t do hi res, but the signal goes via HDMI to my tv which passes the audio to Optical out and into the optical input on the Modeus.

I was A/B’ing then and the hi res via usb is noticeably thinner whereas the ATV. Is full.

Maybe there’s more to it? 

gochurchgo
Post removed 

Once you compare to a dedicated audio player or streamer you will never return to a multipurpose device. Do you really want to tether your phone?

You might be better off with Snapdragon (lossless) BT.

Not on Apple.

You probably could not ID HiRez on Apple even if it could play it.

I’m all about the vinyl. I was just messing around with the CCK. Sounds good now.

99% of the music I like will never exist in high res.

Interesting way to get high res out of ATV.  But why do you need the phone?  If you pay for an Apple Music subscription you can jettison the phone.and use it straight from ATV

“99% of the music I like will never exist in high res”

@gochurchgo

That’s quite presumptuous of you, which one of these cloud based service have you tried….Primephonic, Idagio, Qobuz or Tidal? Since you primarily listen to Vinyl, I am suggesting a much more robust alternative to your iPhone. Look into Bluesound Node for exploring / background music. This is a plug n play (RCA out to your preamp) device and de facto standard for many vinyl lovers.