A cartridge with more bite, please and thank you

My Hana SL is a little soft sounding for the Linn LP12/Cirkus/Mober supchassis/Alphason Xenon MCS and I'm looking for some direction and insight. My phono preamp is a Supratek Syrah.

Thinking about Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, ZYX Ultima 100 and Soundsmith Paua. Anybody out there compare these? Heard any of them on a similar set up? Or, have other recommendation that would mate well?

I see a lot Ortofon recommendations for Alphason, the ZYX reviews well and Soundsmith is right down the river - I've enjoyed their lower models and like the rebuild concept and pricing. That said, best sound is best sound!

Oh, I'm also open to having the Alphason rewired - I'm not sure that's the biggest priority right now, but it's tempting...

Muchas gracias and happy holidays!

budburma

+1 on the AT ART9XI mentions. 

when I was shopping for my last upgrade, I missed the close-out deals on the ART9. Excellent and balanced sound. 

As there is a Price $1400 - $4000 being considered for a Cart'.

It would be wise to get out and receive a few demonstrations, 'more bite' is a very personal description of a presentation. The use of the Term conjures up 'in my thoughts' that a Cart' is required with a discernable trait, and as it is 'bite' and not 'kick', I am leaning towards the Upper Most Frequencies being prominent during a replay.

To get an extremely prominent Upper Frequency, this can be achieved at a fairer outlay than budgeted for.

The Ortofon Quintet Black will comfortably fit the role. Used Naked it will offer even more toward the perception the upper frequencies being prominent.

If the Cart', 'hits a home run for you' there is many hours of pleasure to be had before the next performance level is to be achieved.

One For The Future                                                                                               The Cart' is with Aucurum Coils ( The Wire of their TOTR Models ) this is a very good place for a Ortofon Cart' to take on the role as a Donor Cart'.                        The Cart' can have Boron or even better Beryllium Armature added and a Styli of Choice. An Ogura Vital would work exceptionally well if attempting to maintain the original presentation, but in a much more refined way. If a little richness is desired, (increased bass presence) the FGS Styli would be an interesting option.

Keep in mind the Naked Usage as a Option, as it will allow for a perception of increased Upper Frequency.

'How much Fat one wants trimmed of their Cut' is another case where 'each to their own' is the best practice.    

Raising the VTA help a surprising amount! Thanks @jasonbourne52 ...So, I'm less desperately drive, but very interested in the AT ART9 and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, but now have some curiosity around the Lyra Delos, too. I appreciate the input. More than one would is a lot to look forward to - maybe Christmas will bring a couple along to try. Please, baby, please, baby, please!

I have a cork mat that I'm happy with.

The MCS wiring is a little enigmatic and often changed out. Rewiring with the new OCC Alphason wire used in the HR200 isn't too crazy expensive and includes an arm tune up. It can be wired to a DIN or straight through. I'm leaning towards doing it and straight through to avoid extra connections in the signal path, etc....

@palasr doing very well. and i wish the same for you and yours. Happy holidays up there.

A friend of mine runs a Shelter 7000 on his VPI (Aries 3?) and it sounds really great. Totally different table/arm/system, I know. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Shelter love on the forums, but I thought I'd toss it in the ring. At this point, I think Lyra is out for me - too much 'bite'. What I meant by bite was quicker and sharper leading edge. While Lyra looks to offer that, the emphasis on the treble end and detail turns my attention elsewhere. That leaves

AT ART9xx, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and....Shelter 901 series

A Shelter 7000 does not have 'Bite' in any arm or supporting ancillary.

It will deliver a Rich Believable Tone, played through the Brightest SS Phon, with Silver Wire throughout the Signal Path. 

The Cadenza Bronze is Cart' to present with a Richer Tone as an alternative to the Siblings in the Range.

Are you sure you do not want a Cart' with a bottom end that is the noticeable trait. 'Mud on the Wellies', the amount of Trudge to bare, will be another case where 'each to their own' is the best practice.

There are endless Cart's able to present with this trait being detectable, the options for a Shortlist can be tenfold, in comparison to a Lean, Transparent, Projected Mid - Upper Mid Trait.