Review ATC SCM20PSL monitors 50 hours listening

My wife's system under construction consists of a Rega Apollo R CD player, Luxman 509X integrated and new ATC SCM20PSL monitors!  In burr magnolia.  They are gorgeous!  All electronics sitting on an IKEA two shelf bench.  I did mention system under construction....before anyone flames. That shelf will be corrected with a Quadraspire SVT stand.  Okay?

Even in this incomplete phase with the monitors sitting on no name massed 29" stands, they are incredible.  The Luxman grabs hold of them firmly and just drives them.  All control.  The ATCs are really quick, image well without completely disappearing and have controlled slam.  Nicely extended highs, beautiful midrange and tight bass easily revealing acoustic bass timbre.  One can easily differentiate between Eddie Gomez, Edgar Meyer and Charnett Moffett.

She is having great fun with it even if Bon Jovi recordings mostly sound, well, marginal to be honest.  Heresy I say, but it's her system.

Zavfino Prima power cables, Decware ICs, Mojo Mystique 3 DAC, Duelund speaker cables, Decware ZLC power conditioner.

celtic66

I think everyone should at least hear ATC speakers.  They do midrange unlike any other speaker I’ve heard, in a good way, and as we all know most of music lives in the midrange.  That’s quite a system your wife has put together.  You married well!

m-dB

Wow, that Lorraine Campet link you posted is amazing. What intonation! It was perfect.

One of things with ATC that has always been a goal of Billy Woodman (founder) and the engineering department: realism via low distortion. Distortion starts in the drivers, where ATC invests a LOT of effort and time in designing and building their own. The midrange is so good due to creating a driver that would be far too expensive to sell OEM.

Brad

One of things with ATC that has always been a goal of Billy Woodman (founder) and the engineering department: realism via low distortion. 

It is interesting you say that. I could not see any distortion measurements shown on the ATC website. Audioscience did a review and found horrific distortion and poor response: