Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Diablo 300 is really not a good match for Thiels, the tweeters will let you know.

Strange, it sounds great with the ribbon tweeters in my Maggies.

@jafant   thanks Man.   i figured you might know.   I must say that i am amazed at how much better the 3.7's are sounding with the insertion of the new PS Audio DSD DAC II.   The sound is so much richer and easier to listen to.   it shows how much jitter we are getting in digital and how the Thiel speakers really hold nothing back.   Their high resolution is a two edged sword but they sound stunning now.  

@ronkent  I appreciate your update on the sound of the new PS Audio DSD MkII DAC when feeding Thiel speakers. I'm using the original version of that DAC right now, and I'm looking forward to the possibility of trading it in toward the MkII version when the beta testing has been completed. I'm especially impressed that you highlighted the new DAC's sound for its richness and ease of listening rather than focusing only on its reproduction of high-frequency detail. For me, the ideal DAC has to be able to exhibit transparency, imaging, and fullness of tone (especially on voices and acoustic instruments). My own experience is that listeners are too often impressed by detail retrieval even when it is out of balance with richness of tone in the midrange and bass. I'm hoping that the PS DSD MkII can combine transparency with realistic tonality, and that it it never sounds lean or bright on my Thiel 2.2 speakers. Your comments are very encouraging.

@sdl4 you are most welcome. the original DSD DAC was revelatory and a big improvement on its predecessor, the PWD. the MKII is as big an improvement. the sound was great with the first DSD, but the two things i notice most with the new unit, is both more information but a much more relaxed and natural sound. The reduction in jitter (according to Paul) is why the sound is so much more natural and easy to listen to.

when they get the bugs fixed (mine has had none) i encourage you to audition it but give it two weeks of playing to break in.

I have had the pleasure of owning five generations of Theil speakers:

This is a very iffy statement to make due to multiple variables, and to the time issues, but i think the biggest jump in sound i got was between the 2.0 and 2.2, and between the 2.2 and the 2.4. what i am saying is that when you can, try to get a pair of the 2.4 or 2.4SE’s.

I am currently auditioning speakers to replace my 3.7’s, but so far both the Wilson Sabrinas and the Magico A5’s have not motivated me to make a change.

ronkent

Good to see you as always. Thank You for the PS Audio DSD DAC II. update.

There are several PS Audio threads here on the 'Gon that could benefit from your expertise.

Happy Listening!