What am I missing?

When discussing streaming we often hear the quality achieved by streaming compared to "cd quality". "Cd quality" seems often to be the standard by which streaming is favorably compared while cds have at the same widely fallen into disfavor as a medium. If "cd quality" continues to be a quality standard by which we judge streaming services -which it appears to be- why exactly do we hold cds in such disfavor? More sophisticated dacs can always be employed with cd transports as they are with streaming. I understand the convenience and storage issues with cds but I also understand that with streaming you will never own the music which you do with cds. This becomes even more unclear to me when considering the resurgence of vinyl and the storage and convenience issues involved with this medium. I don't believe the music industry ever wanted us to own the music we listen to but rather preferred we only rent and pay for that music each time.

128x128pmiller115

I still like CDs and have ~1k.  But the funnest thing about them is looking at the titles and picking one I had forgotten about and the memories, good or bad, of that time.  Nostalgia!

Regards,

barts

@designsfx 

It took me a little over 3k. 

Wifi extender

Ethernet cable

Optical isolation to cleanup ethernet

Linear power supply for streamer

Streamer

USB cale to dac

Dac

Power cords for dac, isolator and linear power supply.

All described in my house of stereo system.

You do not have to spend the high amounts mentioned by many to achieve great sound. My system proves it. But for people who are willing to spend over 20k for a streamer, good for them.

I have to give a slight edge to modern CD's over streaming CD quality files.  24/96 is usually a step up, and anything higher rez is overdone, IMO.  Most of my older CD's [pre 2000] are OK in the car, but a no-go in my system.  

For those who feel the need to own the music vs renting/leasing whatever you want to call it. I already own far more physical media than I can play, I derive virtually no value from physical media I no longer play due to new listening preferences, tons of my vinyl and all cd's in storage with difficult access to. Since my listening preferences constantly changing and evolving, at least some music becomes obsolete, don't need or want more obsolete possessions, already far too much of that.

The other thing I love with streaming is the ability to access my music via smartphone at workplace and in car. Long trips made far more pleasurable with this.