Amazon music vs Qobuz

I’m currently using Qobuz for streaming music. Amazon music is considerably less than Qobuz but I’m wondering what the differences are. Amazon goes on and on about commercial free music. Which makes me wonder how much is commercial free. Qobuz is 100% commercial free. 

z32kerber

When I acquired the ability to stream music I got trial subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz. Qobuz won the face-off and I still enjoy it immensely. It didn’t matter that for a time I also had MQA capability.

As a classical nut, I also truly appreciate Idagio. I must say, too, that the sound quality I get from the CD quality Idagio is often just as good if not better than Qobuz’ hi-def offerings.

You can use Amazon music or most any popular streaming app with any hifi streamer that supports Airplay which works splendidly. Google cast is the other similar option. Apps on most streamer devices tend to be very limited in terms of useful features. Vendor provided apps you run on commercial smartphones, tablets and computers tend to be much better feature-wise.  Getting good sound from a commercial computer to a hifi can be tricky but with devices that support airplay or google cast a piece of cake.  

I pay $16 a month for a Family Unlimited Music plan. I got four months free and I can use on multiple devices at the same time. I built a dedicated PC last summer for streaming and gaming. I use a Sound Blaster AE-7 sound card analogue out to my pre amp for stereo in my main system. I also listen on my android with a Hip Dac. I realize both my DACs are under $200 (with headphone amp) so I am sure others will have better SQ. But Amazon HD and Ultra HD sounds more than good enough for me.

@edcyn Thanks for the reference to Idagio. Weird spelling! I thought it would be "Adagio."

hilde45 -- Yeah, I guess they had to come up with something that was unused and sounded vaguely classical. In any case, I may have mentioned this before here but Idagio seems to have about every classical recording ever released. From Karl Muck to Kaija Saariaho.  It's the proverbial Aladdin's Cave.