What now?

At the risk of repeating a question that has been asked and answered a few times, let me tell you my story.  I am an old-time audiophile (now 79) who has to adapt to new circumstances.  For the past forty years or more I have listened to music on two pairs of Snell type A speakers (A and AIII), one pair in my living room and another pair in the studio where I paint.  I have moved to a smaller house.  I had to sell the Snells because I don't have room for them (they went to a good home).  I also have sold some fairly high end equipment that powered them.  I now have two Marantz 60009 receivers and a nice vintage turntable.  The turntable is in a small (about 12x15) room, with a piano.  I need to find floor-standing speakers I can put on either side of the piano and close to the wall behind them.  I want to find them used, but not too used - I don't want to need to repair them anytime soon.  I am used to good sound and my hearing is still pretty good.  I listen to some classical, some choral, some solo voice, some guitar, etc.  I like what might be called a "warm" tone - without wanting to get into a debate about what that means - just don't want treble that is on the edgy side.  My budget is flexible, but not unlimited - maybe from $700 to $3000.  I do care how they look.  Some years ago I had a pair of Acoustic Zen adagios, which were OK, but I always preferred the Snells (maybe I was just used to them).  So - what do you recommend?  Adagio?  Vienna Acoustic Bach?  Tannoy?  Sonus Faber?  I am not in a place where I can easily audition speakers, and many of the ones I would consider are no longer sold new anyway, so I need to rely to some extent on the judgment of others.  What do you think?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtwilightround

I need to find floor-standing speakers I can put on either side of the piano and close to the wall behind them.

That’s a huge bummer, and I just wouldn’t do it. I’d suggest you use something like these gliders from Herbie’s that’d allow you to easily slide your speakers out for critical listening and cover the piano with a sheet or thin blanket to help minimize that nightmare.
https://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/threaded-stud-glider

Also, with your audio obstacle course and if you’re in the northeast go pick these up. They’re awesome floorstanders and will only cost you $775. Use them with the Herbies and sheet and hopefully you can make the best of a bad situation. Best of luck.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649912639-joseph-audio-rm25si-signature-mk-ii-loudspeakers/

@soix I see no arrangement that's not a giant mess and a compromise. This piano is a giant whale in a small room. Maybe wall-in speakers at least 2 feet above the top of the piano on the back wall? But I wouldn't hold my breath. Along the same lines, the piano must pretty bad in such a small room. 

Something to look into new (rarely see them on the used market).

They also have a Plus version with more bass (have not heard it).

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue34/silverline_prelude.htm

DeKay

I would definitely go for something laid back in that room. Bigger room my favorite would be Focal. I would go maybe Dynaudio in that space. Nice pair of Focus160s for sale here I think there still available.