Best Alignment Protractor?

What are the best Alignment Protractors?

rsf507

Parallel tracking arms also require alignment. Azimuth, VTA/SRA, overhang.

No overhang on a linear tracker.

My Eminent Technology "protractor" is clealy more accurate than for any pivoted arm I have seen - you align the stylus to a very fine scribed line. The ET protractor aligns to the bearing housing ensuring that the stylus is at precisely the correct position for accurate tangential tracking.

For pivoted arms I use the Dennesen ( metal ) - the Feickert is easy but the size of the dot on which you place the stylus is far too big compared to the Dennesen and not anywhere near as precise as the ET. In fact a traditional accurate cardboard protractor with a pin prick for the stylus to drop into is probably more accurate than most - I have the old Garrott Bros protractors and they are very very accurate.

dover

No overhang on a linear tracker.

More correctly, a parallel tracker has zero overhang. How can you ensure zero overhang when setting up a parallel tracker? On most of them, you need a gauge or protractor.

@cleeds 

As I said I have an Eminent Technology set up jig ( protractor ) that locks to the turntable spindle and bearing housing on the arm. It has a scribed line to set the stylus tip to. It is very accurate.

http://www.eminent-tech.com/techsuppt.htm

page 23 of manual

Now for a somewhat different opinion. The horizontal tracking angle (HTA) that you are setting with a protractor is the least important setting of all to get with absolute precision. It is incorrect most of the time as there can be at most two places where it is correct, that is, stylus tangent to the groove. Moreover there are several solutions about how to set HTA, each of which has its partisans. So this is not a setting to obsess over. More important is SRA and especially azimuth.

That being said, the $20 protractor sold by turntablebasics.com, used with care, will set HTA to the most popular setting as accurately as anything out there. Moreover it can be use with an arm of any length. The idea of spending big bucks for an HTA adjustment protractor seems unwise IMO.

I agree that high-precision protractors and ultra precise alignment makes for sense for a dealer than a home alignment.  The big problem is that no matter how precise the alignment, built-in errors in the manufacturing of styli, cantilevers, and cartridge suspensions pretty much dwarf minor errors in user alignment of the cartridge.  Look up zenith error.  Even with extremely expensive cartridges, zenith error can be very high because it is really hard for the manufacturer to spot the error when mounting the stylus.  The kind of microscope required to see and measure zenith error cost as much as a decent automobile.  Unless you have a conical stylus, zenith error will put the wrong part of the stylus in contact with the groove wall which would mean more wear on both the record and the stylus.  An analysis of zenith costs big money, but, it will allow one to justify seeking correction for gross error from the manufacturer or making compensatory adjustments for more minor error (correction would involve twisting the cartridge away from perfect alignment of the cantilever with the line on the protractor).

Some of the other alignment measurements people take also don't make that much sense, such as insisting on a 92 degree stylus rake angle.  This is only roughly the correct angle under dynamic (while record is in play) conditions.  If you make a static measurement using a USB microscope, you will not be setting the angle to what it will be while the record is playing.  Again, there are complicated ways of measuring the angle under dynamic conditions, but, one is really better off just setting an approximate angle (tonearm perfectly parallel to the record surface) and then listening for improvement in the sound from trial an error deviation from the approximately correct position.