Built-in vs. Standalone DACs

The general consensus here seems to be that standalone DACs are generally better than those built into an integrated amplifier. Many also agree that standalone DACs provide more flexibility, i.e., you can swap DACs without changing the amp.

For the sake of discussion, let’s set aside the flexibility argument and only focus on sound fidelity for now. The primary advantage of a standalone DAC is that it provides better isolation (reduction in electrical noise) since it’s not sharing its architecture with other shared components like power supplies and chassis, etc. I’m also assuming that service and repair is a bit easier as well. What other technical advantages can you guys think of?

Another salient point that I’ve come across is that many manufacturers treat a built-in DAC as an afterthought, and so while the DACs might not be bad per se they are never the star of the show. As a result, the manufacturers don’t go the extra mile in a way that a company producing standalone DACs might. I think you can put Krell, Hegel, McIntosh in this bucket. If you disagree, feel free to correct me.

But on the other hand, we see some high-end manufacturers providing built-in DAC modules and charging quite a bit for it. Examples include Accuphase, Gryphon, Aavik, Soluution, Audio Research, etc. In many cases, the addition of a DAC module can set you back an additional $5-7k. Do you guys think the high cost is basically a ’convenience’ surcharge, or can these high-end built-in DACs compete with DACs that cost about the same, e.g. standalone DACs in the $5-10K range.

So let’s say someone is ordering a Gryphon Diablo 300 and have to decide between adding their DAC module, or buying a separate DAC. Ignoring the flexibility argument for a minute, which route provides better SQ?

128x128arafiq

A point I don't think has been raised is that of the power supply.  I have 2 current systems set up, my own in a music room, streamer transport, separate dac, CD transport, pre amp and power amplifier, all have their own power supplies. My lounge system is a Naim Uniti it has all the above in one box with one power supply. Naim place great emphasis in their separate indeed often stand alone power supplies, I do too. It is very likely separate units with dedicated power supplies will sound better than one trying to drive 5 different devices.

Normally 90% of the times stand alone dac will betters module.

gryphon makes very good products ,a Denafrips terminator + new 12 th anniversary ,or Holo springs May KTE is more refined and detailed 

mybrother has the Diablo300 with latest module ,you will need a top quality usb cable like the Final Touch Audio Sinope usb cable which is $1500

It really depends on how demanding you are on the sound … what is good enough to make you happy.  So for example, are you going to use your digital sound as background music while you work/read/play then getting things just right is not as important as if you were setting up for critical listening. I of course understand the urge to keep seeking out the next level.  What I have discovered, going down the digital rabbit hole, is that better sound (at least to me) is about getting rid of noise/jitter.  If that is the goal, then everything in the digital chain matters … from your ISP right through to the DAC output.  Anyway, I digress.  In most equipment a separate DAC is better isolated from those things in your system that cause noise/jitter.

Honestly I wonder about the separates argument in the highest price tiers.  If I bought a streamer/DAC combo, or integrated amp/DAC, in the $20K range, I would expect the DAC to be damn good, and not an afterthought.  Separates might make more sense in the $5K range, where a standalone DAC is likely to significantly best one included with another component 

@mahler123 That’s exactly what I wonder about as well. I recently talked to a couple of designers of higher-end ($20K+) audio equipment and my understanding is that they put in significant R&D efforts to avoid the usual pitfalls of integrated DACs at lower price points. They also mentioned that having a shorter signal path and less buffering along the way often results in better results.

At least one of the designers is confident that his built-in DACs are as good as separates at around the same price point. For example, if he charges an extra $6k for a DAC module, he is quite certain that this DAC will sound just as good as a separate DAC unit at the same price point. Obviously, a separate DAC which is more expensive, say > $10K, will sound better.