Built-in vs. Standalone DACs

The general consensus here seems to be that standalone DACs are generally better than those built into an integrated amplifier. Many also agree that standalone DACs provide more flexibility, i.e., you can swap DACs without changing the amp.

For the sake of discussion, let’s set aside the flexibility argument and only focus on sound fidelity for now. The primary advantage of a standalone DAC is that it provides better isolation (reduction in electrical noise) since it’s not sharing its architecture with other shared components like power supplies and chassis, etc. I’m also assuming that service and repair is a bit easier as well. What other technical advantages can you guys think of?

Another salient point that I’ve come across is that many manufacturers treat a built-in DAC as an afterthought, and so while the DACs might not be bad per se they are never the star of the show. As a result, the manufacturers don’t go the extra mile in a way that a company producing standalone DACs might. I think you can put Krell, Hegel, McIntosh in this bucket. If you disagree, feel free to correct me.

But on the other hand, we see some high-end manufacturers providing built-in DAC modules and charging quite a bit for it. Examples include Accuphase, Gryphon, Aavik, Soluution, Audio Research, etc. In many cases, the addition of a DAC module can set you back an additional $5-7k. Do you guys think the high cost is basically a ’convenience’ surcharge, or can these high-end built-in DACs compete with DACs that cost about the same, e.g. standalone DACs in the $5-10K range.

So let’s say someone is ordering a Gryphon Diablo 300 and have to decide between adding their DAC module, or buying a separate DAC. Ignoring the flexibility argument for a minute, which route provides better SQ?

128x128arafiq

I have a Diablo 300 with the DAC module.  It replaced my Ayre QX5/20 DAC and i have auditioned some others in the 5K to 10K range that have not motivated me to retire it.  I feed it with a Wolf Alpha 3SX server via USB.  Not having additional interconnects or power cords is also an area where sound quality can be preserved IMO.  The Gryphon DAC module also runs off an internal capacitor bank so basically same as battery powered and once the bank is charged it disconnects itself from the Diablo 300’s power supply. 

Ignoring the flexibility argument for a minute, which route provides better SQ?

In my opinion, you should focus on what you are looking for.

Is it convenience? Is it highest fidelity?

IMHO, if you want the most flexibility, then go for separates. It gives you the ability to dial in your system to what you want to hear. And, DAC's are evolving fast, what is SOTA now might be yesterdays mashed potatoes.

Bob

@drrsutliff Thanks for chiming in. It's good to know that high end manufacturers like Gryphon take the integrated DAC architecture very seriously as is evident by their innovative approach towards powering the module. I remember reading somewhere that Gryphon consider the shorter path (no additional cords) as an advantage.

BTW, lovely system you got :) I love how you enjoy your digital and analog systems and have worked to bring parity between the two. I bet the Diablo and Rockport combo along with the Wolf streamer is kickass.

@gdnrbob I agree with you regarding the flexibility argument. No doubt separates gives you the ultimate freedom to upgrade and experiment. If you look at my virtual system you will see that I have, and always had, separate DACs. The Denafrips Terminator 2 DAC that I have is fantastic and I love the sound.

Having said that, I don’t know if the technology in DACs is evolving as fast as we think. Before I got the Denafrips, I was running a Luxman DA-06 which despite being a 12 year old design can still stand up to many modern DACs.

I did briefly try a Hegel H390 and it’s built-in DAC a couple of years ago. At the time, I was not very impressed. I wonder if the outcome would have been different had I tried it with a higher quality external DAC. Who knows?

But regardless, I think the DAC modules that companies like Gryphon, Aavik, Accuphase, and ARC are integrating with their amps are a cut above the rest. If you set aside the flexibility argument for a moment, I think these integrated DACs (as @drrsutliff can attest to) provide excellent SQ since the designers make fewer compromises.

Boulder is another company who is serious about integrating DACs in their higher end amps.