Dedicated line, how many outlets two or four?

Using Romex wire from the 20 amp breaker, how many outlets would make the most sense, ie. Two or four? ie. how many things should I be plugging into this 20 amp breaker?

Does it matter if I use romex 10/2 or 10/3?

jumia

Jumia,

Go by wattage.  A 20 Amp line should be around 2,400 Watts.  In a typical home a 20 Amp line may be wired to four or more duplex outlets for convenience.

If you are running from 1 breaker, you would use 10/2.  If you were going to run 2 different circuits (on 2 phases) then 10/3 is convenient.

I put in 2 circuits so that I can put junk like switching power supplies for TV streamers on the other circuit.  I put six outlets on each circuit.  However, once you have a good poer regenerator, you'll find it is plugged in and most audio components are plugged into it.  Mine has 10 outlets on it and all but 1 is full.  Once you go down the high end power supply rabbit hole you'll need a lot of outlets.

I used 10/3 just as Erik describes above.   This has the added advantage of giving you access to 240V if you have a piece of european gear.