Aric Audio Custom 300b PSET

Hey guys. I just wanted to share my initial impressions regarding Aric Audio Custom 300b PSET I just plugged in. Posting here because of the numerous discussions regarding Aric’s equipment I read that convinced me to take a chance on a small company’s, handmade amp. 
I’m coming from 25 years of solid state and very recently a Synthesis el34 50 watt push pull amp. The Synthesis sounds great and I didn’t buy the new amp because I was displeased in any way. I’d purchased it while waiting for some Decware gear, which after 7 months couldn’t do anymore. I wanted a handmade, point to point amp, so I researched around and came across Aric Audio here. Gave him a call, discussed what I was looking for and Aric gave his recommendations. I was a bit nervous when he suggested the 300b. I’d never heard them before and those tubes are pricey! Many good reviews later, I decided, F*ck it! I’m in. Placed the order and added some upgrades. 
After 4 or 5 weeks, got the call and picked up the amp. It sat for a day and I plugged it in today. I stream through a Cambridge cxn v2 and Topping d90le dac. Speakers are Audio Note-e/lx, AN Lexus speaker wire, Black Dragon interconnect and xlr’s. 
Listening was really surprising. I’m amazed how different the sound is from the Synthesis with el34’s. The sound is much more powerful. You feel it more. The vocals are a bit more forward. Staging is far better. Probably the weirdest is the blackness. Just so quite and yet I hear so much more. Texture to instruments, if that’s a proper way to explain it. I’m new to this world so proper words escape me. Fullness, sharp instrument strikes and naturalness come to mind. The clarity of the music is striking. I almost feel like I’m hearing things I shouldn’t in the music, like feet tapping and inhalations for example. Very cool. 😀

I look forward to hearing how the amp improves. I do hope the cymbals settle just a bit. They don’t glare and aren’t bright, just very clear and more prominent compared to previous amp/tubes. I’m sure my brain and ears need an adjustment period as well. Each equipment change I do freaks me out! I look forward to sharing developments and hope to hear your comments. 

earthbound

@aricaudio

I believe that with the upper tier 300bs

Elrog,EML,KR, Takatsuki.Western Electric, one could not go wrong. I left out the Higher level Chinese 300b because I am not sure that reliability has yet been established. Inevitably some top tier brands will match with certain amplifiers better than others.
Charles

A relatively inexpensive quad I have running in a 300B Push Pull (I’ve also tried them in the PSET albeit briefly) are the Linlai 7300Bs. Sort of a KT150ish looking egg shape (which you’ll likely either love or hate), and a titanium coated plate structure. I paid $660 for a quad, and have about 100 hours on them, and they’re fantastic for the money this far in. They're very balanced and detailed without any bloat, raggedness or roll-off on either end. Somewhat "fast and detailed" sounding, without being analytical or sterile. So far I have not had any Linlai tubes fail on me- 6SN7s, 2A3s, 845s, 5U4GBs (and too soon to tell, but so far the 300Bs as well). YMMV, but so far they’ve all biased up consistently with no ticks, pops, or any other noises. Very consistent in sonics across tubes. My early impressions are very positive with Linlai’s tubes thus far.

In an amp like the PSET 300b it is worth the money. , I think    We're not talking a $3000 amp here.    Yeah it stings,  but they are reported to last a long time .   

I pulled the trigger today. I purchased 2 Sylvania 6v6’s, 2 Linlai 6sn7’s and 2 Western Electric 300b’s. The 300b’s will be used in SET mode and I’ll use the Gold Lions in PSET. The other tubes are back ups for the amp, which already has the Sylvania’s but the Linlai would be different. Look forward to hearing the difference between the Gold Lions and WE’s. WE also promised, due to the price, that a naked lady jumps out from behind the amp!

@earthbound 

👍 Congratulations with the new tubes. I hope that the Western Electric 300bs serve you very well. It’s really nice that your amplifier allows SET mode when desired.

Charles