SUT - electrical theory and practical experience

Some vinyl users use a SUT to enhance the signal of the MC cartridge so that it can be used in the MM input of a phono stage.  Although I don't understand the theory behind it, I realize that a SUT should be matched individually to a particular cartridge, depending on the internal impedance of the MC, among other things.  

Assuming an appropriately / ideally matched SUT and MC, What are the inherent advantages or disadvantages of inserting a SUT after the MC in the audio chain?  Does the SUT theoretically enhance or degrade the sound quality?  What does the SUT actually do to the sound quality? 

Thanks. 

drbond

@rauliruegas ,

Here’s my current assessment, which has been nicely summarized by @intactaudio :  basically, the cartridge is naturally developed as a current generator, however for the past decades, phono stages were created to unnaturally transform the cartridge into a voltage generator by adding the load in the phono stage.  However, when the cartridge operates as a current generator, no external arbitrary loading needs to be added to the signal created by the cartridge.  So, it seems,  based on my limited knowledge, that the current based phono stages would be most naturally associated with phono cartridges.

@mulveling 

The SUT I used include Cinemag 1254 transformers wired at 1:10 for my Lyra Delos.  

It sounded louder because of the extra resulting gain and really good but ultimately not as refined overall as my Sutherland fully active.  

Thanks. There are better SUTs (for more money), but the 1254 is indeed a good one. I was afraid you were using a 3440 but that's not the case. A good mark for the Sutherland, indeed. I'll have to try one someday!

I think you do not re-read carefully that Palmer/holmz posts.

Anyway, I think is enough for that.

R.

Btw, @intactaudio  : you capacitance parameter of 80pf coukld be not real to make SUT measurements as the 300k load.

Normally what sees the MM stage + SUT is a load of 47k and capacitance around 200pf. Then measures arwe different that with your " choosed " parameters.

Unfortuntaelly cable manafucterer almost never gives the cable capacitance but almost all are higher than 150pf and even over 200pf.

R.

Btw, @intactaudio  : you capacitance parameter of 80pf coukld be not real to make SUT measurements as the 300k load.

Normally what sees the MM stage + SUT is a load of 47k and capacitance around 200pf. Then measures arwe different that with your " choosed " parameters.

Unfortuntaelly cable manafucterer almost never gives the cable capacitance but almost all are higher than 150pf and even over 200pf.

I think everyone who prominently recommends SUTs on this forum also cautions to select low-capacitance cables. There are ample phono-targeted ICs optimized for low capacitance. Select one of those models, keep the run short (ideally under 1m), and hitting a capacitance under 80 pF is quite easy.