Do Streamer only devices really impact sound quality?

From a layman mindset, a streamer transmits electronic information to a dac via coaxial cable or other connection. The electronic information I believe is standardized for all streamers. That said, the streamer itself could not influence the sound quality heard by the audience. I think it is bit-perfect information coming across to the dac. 

So for instance a Bluesound 2i   vs  Cambridge CXN V2 streamer should sound identical with the same connections and equipment used and of course same streaming service and content.

thoughts appreciated if I have this correct?  

dvdgreco

@navyachts Just as he did with the Sueezebox, he left out the qualifier “for the money,” but he did say it’s not on the level of better/pricier streamers.  Just highlighting a few words from his review without context is misleading. 

@soix - I was just trying to point out that something outstanding and fantastic could be had for thousands of dollars less than the Innuos Zen Mk3. Didn't say it sounded better.

Funny you should mention these two particular streamers.  I’ve had both, and much preferred the sound of the Cambridge.

If you are going to use usb to a dac (why anybody would is beyond me), then a server will probably make a difference. If you use Ethernet then IME they don’t and you don’t have any issues with jitter or clocking. It’s only with usb that you have to buy all the tweaks/gimmicks to try to get usb to sound good. 
You still have to provide a quality internal network infrastructure with top quality cables to get good quality sound using Ethernet.

For over a decade, the software that is used to read the data has more influence on sq than the hardware. Even when I used an external server years ago, the Auralic Aries, I preferred the sq when I used the Lumin software to access the Aries. Same goes for iTunes, pure music, amarra, audirvana, and Roon. 

Individuals use usb because it has best SQ vs other inputs/outputs available to them. I've observed many trying coax, AES/EBU, I2S inputs on dac, finding them inferior and returning to usb. Theoreticals are one thing, hearing is another. USB continues to be used because both manufacturers and consumers find it preferable to other formats.

As for software vs hardware, I've heard great variability with both.

My take is optimized streaming only achieved when all components, software, software and hardware configurations are optimized. Everything matters. Based on reports of others I observe great correlation between optimized streaming setups and great sound quality. The most experienced streamers report their findings, others follow their recommendations and experience better sound quality in vast majority of cases.