Looking for "realistic" speakers

I just had my pair of Cary Audio Silver Oak speakers get fried along with the rest of my Cary gear in some kind of power surge (sniff sniff). And absolutely loved the Silver Oaks because they just made everything sound authentic.

The instruments had the right timbre, scale, the balance was just right, and aside for perhaps a touch of richness had no character of their own. This made them sound great for any type of music.

I can't afford the $8K I spent in the day to replace so am looking for something closer to $2K-$3K max (used Ok). I'm looking less for something with super trick staging, imaging and some of the other high end niceties (though I wouldn't kick them out of bed).

More for a musical speaker that just makes the music musical and the presentation realistic sounding. That makes you forget you're listening to speakers/electronics and hearing the music the way it should sound.

Easy to say, I know.

My preamps and amps are solid state Cary stuff that will be replaced by insurance though sadly the Silver Oaks are no longer made.

Any ideas?
larrybou
I love my 1.7s. They sound so right that the initially imposing frontal area just blends in with the room now, leaving me with very realistic, musical, and involving sound for a mere $2K. Well, I do augment them with a pair of little sealed 8" subs which blend very well.
I had some Salk Veracity HT1 speakers for 8 years and never found them tiring at all. I am retired and listened to TV and music both all day long on them. They had an exciting clean sound as opposed to a warm romantic sound. My girlfriend liked to come over and listen to music with me as they were so exciting to listen to.

Bob
interesting. I remember auditioning Fried speakers back in the early 90's. I recall them being lively and fun if a tad aggressive and short in the bass registers. Obviously the speakers, the industry and I myself might have changed a little in the last quarter century or so.

Do they have a similar (if improved) sound signature as back in the day?
I recently heard the very understated and totally not advertised the
Bud Fried Tower Loudspeakers. I have been in Audio well over 30 years now
And I read the review and last summer heard a pair in New York at a hifi get together and was very Impressed.The first thing you notice is the Fantastic 
Cabinet build Which Jim Salk is well known for .to be honest I thought 
These were at minimum a $5k Loudspeakers and with the outriggers really looked The part. The Hiquphon Tweeter I have had before in a Salk song tower.
Many people donot know theseare all Hand made tested and Pair matched
To within 1/2 dB something scan speak or others donot do. Very fast open and sweet. The middrivers are total sleepers Peerless upper line made in Denmark 
Great natural midrange,midbass lower Bass .information even in the lower 30hz
Range.  Jim Sales partner Xover guru Dennis  gets the Fried Series Xover 
Blending seamlessly.  I recently sold my$5k  Revel F-208 Loudspeakers to buy these.
These just sound like natural sounding music exceptionally well balanced.
To overlook these for any speaker under $6k as Dick Olsher stated 
Would be a mistake on your part. You may like a different flavor but if you want a well balanced Loudspeaker that won't break the bank in over 10 color finishes
Then Give Jim Salk a call or any dealers who may have a demo pair to listen to 
And bring plenty of music you will enjoy them.As Dick  Olsher said
A No Brainer !!