DAC Questions

I'm in the process of upgrading my whole system and want to purchase a DAC to use with my old CDP as a transport. The player is a Cary 308. I still have a pretty large CD collection, along with vinyl. The DAC I'm thinking about is the Lampizator Amber 3.

What do I need to know to make this happen? School me.

Thanks y'all.

Robert 

rblondeau

@mofojo Yes. A lot has to do with the word clock and like everything else is probably system/DAC dependent, but it seems by and large AES/EBU or i2S are by far the preferred connections into a DAC. I can only say that using a cheap 6” HDMI cable from Monoprice from the Iris to my DAC made a huge improvement in transparency, detail, and soundstage expansion to the point I’ll never go back. Just thought since we both had Musician DACs my experience would be useful. Maybe contact Musician and see what they have to say about the quality of their various inputs, but I know what I heard with i2S and, to me, it’s on a different level.

My God, DACs are a rabbit hole! I was feeling confident about the Lampi, but now there are just so many choices. Geez! I guess part of the challenge is that as a relative newby to digital there is a lot that I don't know. I got a lot to learn. 

Any tips on how to narrow things down? My budget is around $3K. I'm always willing to sacrifice accuracy for a warmer sound. The whole R2R thing seems to suit me, but I'm not unwilling to consider anything. System basics include: Salk Encore 3 speakers, Wells Audio Innamorata amp, Vac 20.1 linestage preamp. 

@rblondeau 

Hope you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving! Per your last posting I guess you’re realizing there is a lot to absorb- the good thing is there are great components out there within your budget.

If you haven’t done so already I would steer you to the site search engine- there are MANY threads discussing this (R2R vs Delta-Sigma) with recent comments by those that purchased them.

Just a note about the HDMI / i2S if you are considering buying a Lampizator. I own the Lampi Atlantic 3. I requested a modification from factory, to have them install an i2S connection, but it was not available. They kindly responded and, understandably, the i2S has not been firmly standardized, so there are a number of configurations and conflicting setups, making it hard for them to simply add a "universal" i2S. But beside that point, I don’t think you need it. I do understand the curiosity about adding additional reclocking. Before moving to the Lampizator, I owned a Denafrips Pontus II and had it connected to a Denafrips Iris DDC via i2S. That really enhanced the Pontus. But I don’t think you are working with the same format or playing field in the Lampizator world. If you really get an itch to listen to your Lampizator with an additional reclocker as mentioned above, you can pick up a high-quality AES/EBU cable to join them. But I would test that, if possible, before plunking down money just to see what an additional reclocker might do (or not). Instead of spending exploratory money on a possibly redundant reclocker, I’d recommend getting an Eno ethernet filter, connect it to a good streamer, then connect the streamer via high-quality cable to the Lampizator. You will be amazed.