Why are there so many wooden box speakers out there?

I understand that wood is cheap and a box is easier to make than a sphere but when the speaker companies charge tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for their speakers, shouldnt consumers expect more than just a typical box? Are consumers being duped?

Back in the 70’s a speaker engineer found that a sphere was best for a speaker. A square box was the worst and a rectangular box was marginally better.

The speaker engineers have surely known about this research so why has it been ignored?

Cabasse is the only company doing spheres. Should wooden boxes be made illegal

kenjit

Should wooden boxes be made illegal

Yeah - I suppose with the penalty of death?

But only if we then bury the offender in a wooden coffin to drive the point home with some irony.

Great question. I have owned plenty of both and find Open baffle far superior. Why? Well when done correctly the money goes o the speakers and XOS instead of mostly inferior cabinets and OXs

I submitted a bill to make wooden boxes illegal. Of course it will end caskets, picture frames, and cabins. A small price to pay, I say.

From what I understand, the legislation is behind a bill that promotes windshields for dogs butts.

There’s a group workin’ round the clock on it. 

Table saws and panel saws cut do a good job of cutting flat wood panel straight.

Yes but thats what you do for the customers that want cheap speakers. You cant offer the same old boxes to customers that are paying ten times the price can you? Would you expect better service if you stayed at a 5 star hotel rather than a 2 star hotel? Of course you would. Why should speaker design be any different? I dare you to answer that. 

I am disinclined to take your word for it over hundreds of manufacturers without some evidence that you could be correct.
Your word on it is not proof that your assertion/premise is correct… it’s just, “like your opinion dude.”

The evidence is incontrovertible. And I'm not the one that produced the evidence so if you have an issue with the evidence you would need to confront them. 

Have you heard of B&W? It is a state of the art speaker company. Their best model is the NAUTILUS. So if the evidence was wrong, that means so is the nautilus and so is B&W. Do you now realize what a tangle you've got yourself into?

And if the stuffing doesnt absorb much, then what do you suggest we use? 

If a sphere isnt the right shape, do you have any evidence of that since youre so adamant?

Whats the perfect radiation pattern? You do realize all the hundreds of manufacturers which you referred to earlier in support of your argument that they are right and I am wrong, produce speakers that each have different radiation patterns dont you? Which would then debunk your argument. They can't all be right can they? You cant just lump them all together when it suits you in order to try to discredit my theory that spheres are perfect. You do realize how many people believe in religion dont you? And that the number of believers has nothing to do with whether their belief is correct? 

Yeah - I suppose with the penalty of death?

That would be too extreme. The penalty would simply be a ban from the marketplace. So you'd end up with square boxes being sold on the blackmarket and nice and round speakers being sold to the rest of us who want perfect sound.