Subwoofer suggestions for budget system?

My current setup is a pair of Magnepan 1.6 speakers, a pair of Schiit Vidars, Schiit Sol turntable w/Goldring E3 cartridge (I have a VAS-rebuilt Denon DL-103 with Ebony shell and microridge stylus when I can get someone to come set it up for me), Mani 2 phono stage, Asgard 3 headphone amp acting as preamp, Schiit SYS as source selector, Modi 3+ connected to Volumio for streaming digital and an Orchard Audio RCA-to-XLR converter to drive the Vidars in monoblock mode.

I'd like to add a subwoofer to the mix that can keep bass out of the Maggies.  I'd, of course, prefer a dipole sub to go with the dipole speakers, but not terribly picky ATM.  My budget is around $200 to $300 for now.  I have been very tempted to build a pair of my own subs, but that's not in my budget right now.

Suggestions?

technotoad

@grislybutter Yeah, unfortunately two subs solve a lot of issues, but I hope things at least sound better with the one sub.  🤞🤞🤞  Have you noticed improvements in imaging/soundstage along with deeper bass?

@soix yes it definitely adds depth, almost like going from 2D to 3D and the dynamics of changing where instrument x comes from.

Sometimes it reverbs when it just should not, which must be phasing and location issue. Maybe my room is too small to make it work (my brain is too small to make it work:) )

I feel like I should try REL before I fully blame myself: REL T ZERO MK III

REL -6dB sub bass speakers are limited to de-tented crossover and phase control. Reducing volume is their most effective control. 

The three bare wire high-speaker level to the amplifier output connectivity  (yet another input/output circuit for the source signal to pass through, limited by the amplifiers low frequency response)  was originally used, and is a convenience for customers lacking preamplifier outputs as do many other subs. Balanced output be informed.

You'll find Mr. Lord's unchanged connectivity now produced offshore is described as system and room integration lauded by mostly new owners without any other subwoofer experience.

Even the practically foolproof and more economical Swarm system has one band of parametric equalization.

On the other hand: if your speakers are very small or your amplifier is under powered, you may find the speaker level connectivity more desirable. You'll still need to deal with any room frequency issues. Those chrome bits and shinny finish are attractive.  

that's the last step indeed, using the speaker connections. I am a bit reluctant since the sub has a monster amp but still, there would not be any phasing issues. 

@grislybutter Have you tried switching the phase on the sub to see if that yields any improvement?