Will a New Amp Sound Better Than My ML333?

I have a Mark Levinson No. 333 amplifier that we bought new over 25 years ago. It was repaired by an authorized service facility 5 years ago. I do not know whether the facility performed any restoration beyond the needed repair, which was fairly extensive. The ML333 is my main amplifier today, as it has been since we acquired it.

Anyway, I generally believe that new technology is better than old technology, so I have been wondering whether I should consider replacing the ML333.

Will, for example, two Benchmark AHB2's in mono mode, or a Bryston 4B3 offer a sonic improvement over the ML333?

If I "upgrade," the amp must have the possibility to be the last amp that I ever buy and must not restrict my possible choice of speakers in the future.

128x128mcdonalk

@jjss49 

I somehow feel that posting my system is not going to convince you of the point I was making. Let me clarify: I don’t feel that the quest for sonic bliss is necessarily linear. I think it is just as likely to be cyclic. We are all chasing the best sound reproduction we can achieve. That we can agree on. I have shelved or sold gear that I felt was either inadequate or no longer for my taste, only to circle back years later and rediscover and embrace those sonic merits that I felt I had moved past. I’m a big fan of classic gear. I feel that well designed gear from years past can hold its own with most of the components of today. At an absolute FRACTION of the price. I sometimes find myself reaching into the past to move “forward”.

The beauty of being an audiophile is that you can never be accused of being wrong. Everyone’s impressions of sound are unique and individual. Just like there is no best “style” of music, we all have opinions of what sounds good to us. You may not agree with what I think sounds best, but that doesn’t mean either one of us is right and the other is wrong. Your sonic journey may take you on a path where you never look back from where you came. My sonic journey is more of a circuitous route that intersects itself at various points along the way. I’ve read countless people on here lamenting the sale of a component that they got rid of years ago. I’m sure at the time they felt it was all in the name of progress. Would they trade what they have now for what they had? Maybe not, but the fact that they are lamenting getting rid of older gear makes me wonder how much progress has really been made. 

@jrimer

appreciate your clarification

no argument with what you said just now, while your earlier statements did not ring true to a number of us longtimers who frequent this forum and contribute consistently, sharing our experiences

@arcticdeth 

Good idea, but that could be several thousand and a long wait time. Over the decades I have owned many high quality SS and tube amps, none any better top to bottom than my LSA Voyager GaN 350 MSRP $3000, but often on sale for $2400. Lots of exceptional reviews

@jrimer 

Your virtual system audio room is attractive and comfortable looking in spades and I bet your system sounds great.