Front Wall with Full length Workbench Shelf

I’m slowly tweaking a 2nd system listening area in a 14’ x 24’ dry walled metal building.  The only available speaker wall is the short wall and this wall has a 24” deep shelf running the entire length of that wall at a height of 38”.  My bookshelf speakers sit on “diving board” type extensions which bring these Klipsch RP-600Ms out from the wall a full 3 feet and some change at the 38” height (They’re angled down ever so slightly.).  Thinking about adding REL T-5x or 7x sub or subs in the near future.  Do you all see the “compartment” effect produced by the continuous 38 inch high, 2 ft deep shelf potentially directly above these subwoofer(s) as an advantage, disadvantage, or non factor?  If it’s bad for SQ, how would you think the best way would be of minimizing deleterious effect while keeping the continuous workbench surface intact?

Thanks in advance!

lg1

@Russ69

It started out a combo light duty wood shop and art studio that’s transitioning to a light duty art studio and listening area.

It started out a combo light duty wood shop and art studio that’s transitioning to a light duty art studio and listening area.

I'd just put them on the workbench and add a sub if you want/need to. I wouldn't spend too much time trying for nirvana. 

I must plead guilty to trying for all the audio nirvana I can eek out of this very imperfect space…lol.  I’ve spent a chunk of time trial-and-erroring absorptive DIY wall treatments to the end result that this system has gone from “a little too bright/forward to live with” to downright addicting to my ears, but the point as to trying to elevate a $1000 setup to “cutting edge” is well taken.

A shift in my inquiry here, then, if a course change within one thread is doable — Is there that much difference between the neighbor irritation factor of a down firing subwoofer in this plywood floor/raised on cinder blocks space and a front firing sub?  Nearest neighbor is in a brick house approx 10-12 feet from this listening space…