Stylus skipping at beginning of record

I’ve adjusted my anti-skating to maximize the SQ of my records.  However, a problem exists in that if I don’t cue up the needle very close to the first recorded groove on the record it skips ahead two or three grooves before playback begins.
Does anyone else have this situation?

128x128rvpiano

When you do get help, maybe ask the guy to teach you how to set VTF, antiskate, VTA, etc, using your tonearm. As to VTF, most makers publish a range of acceptable values for each cartridge. Look that up. If you’re within the recommended range, I doubt VTF is the problem but if you’re in the low end of acceptable then maybe tweak it but don’t exceed the recommended range. This is assuming you are able to measure VTF.

Post removed 

Don’t be embarrassed. My friend Has an OL arm. I helped him set it up and I must say it is a royal PITA! This is from another forum discussion about that arm!

If you are tracking within the recommended range, you are not too light.  Do not exceed the recommended tracking force. The recommended tracking force is not only intended to minimize wear and damage to the stylus, cantilever, and suspension of the cartridge, it should minimize issues with record wear.  The recommended downforce puts the signal generating elements of the cartridge in their proper orientation when the record is being played--to high a force pushes the generating element out of its proper location and this will adversely affect the sound.  Do not adopt a "cure" for one problem that causes another.

Recommended is 2g.  I’m at about 1.9  

yogiboy,

Thanks for  the sympathetic post.

It really is a PITA!