Is it worth upgrading a CD player?

I’ve had my Marantz CD6002 for around 14 years and it’s still going strong. I have it connected to an Audiolab M-DAC+ and play via my Rega amp. I’m mostly vinyl but have started to playvmy CD’s more recently and wondered whether upgrading the CD player would be worth it or not, given the fact it’s played via a dedicated DAC. Am I right in thinking there would be little noticeable improvement?

side22olto

When I started this thread I was happy with my CDP, after reading these posts now I want a new one, so many good ideas.

I am with those that suggest the transport route. 

I believe you can purchase the Audiolab from Audio Advisor or the Cambridge CXC (which I own and enjoy) from Crutchfield with a 30 day trial. Choice comes down to slide (CXC) vs. slot mechanism (Audiolab). You own an Audiolab DAC so that may also drive your choice.

I believe you can purchase the Audiolab from Audio Advisor or the Cambridge CXC....

The CXC gets a lot of love here.  I wish I had bought the original version when they could be had for around $300, hard to find now.  There is a new version over on usaudiomart now for a little less than $600.

@jbuhl   Aside from the price , the only difference between the original and the current version is the look of the casework