Has new music gone down the tubes?

The demand for "old" music grew 14% in the first half of 2022 while the demand for new music dropped 1.4%. In the streaming world "old" music represents 72% of the market. Why does new music seem to be so bad compared to old/classic music?

I go though youtube sometimes and kids post videos of the first time they hear classics like the beatles, bob dylan, whatever and inevitable jaws drop. The music companies keep rereleasing old albums in new formats. Is it because todays artists just can’t "git er done"?

U.S. Music Catalog vs. Current Consumption

kota1

Very basic for me.  Contemporary “pop” music for me is shite.  However, if one meanders from the “pop”,  there is some fantastic music being made in numerous genres.  Just saying

Here's two bands worth checking out: Deer Hoof and The Black Watch. I own several CD's from each! 

Of course it’s crap.

I think what we mean is the presence of good music in/around the mainstream.

Anyone can always say, “well, if you dig hard enough you’ll come up with something.”  Not everyone is a music nerd like me who is interested in taking on excavation projects to unearth good music. Folks with a more causal relationship with music are provided with a notable dearth of options at the top.  This wasn’t true 25 years ago, and it certainly wasn’t true in the preceding decades.

I am admittedly not the biggest rap guy around, but I consider good music to be good music, period. Plenty of music described as “rap” or “hip-hop” is good, some of it great.  I’m very unimpressed with willfully-narrowminded, tired, stupid, cliched, disrespectful dismissals of rap music as a whole.  Reggae’s the only sound I seem to be almost unable to enjoy as a matter of course.  I even thought I might “check in” with reggae a couple nights ago and listened to some. Yeah, nuthin’. Whatever, just because it does nothing for me doesn’t mean it’s inherently devoid of value or worth as a thing.  If there’s been any good stuff in the mainstream the last 25 years, a lot of it was rap.  

I also hope when people say, “y’all never never good music so quit complaining as well!!” immediately after listing Frank Sinatra and the “Beetles” (as though liking that music denotes ignorance or poor taste) is merely a poorly executed attempt at humor.

Post removed 

@tylermunns I am a huge Reggae guy and appreciate your post. I am the same about most Rap music but do not condemn it, it is just not for me. 

I will say there is plenty of new good music out there. It’s the age old argument “ they just don’t make music like they used to” Rubbish!