New MOFI speaker (Andrew Jones)

Here is some info on the new MOFI/Jones speaker:

128x128mofimadness

@travisg he seemed impressed. Perhaps he didn't want to come across as a "cheerleader" given his friendship with Andrew. Then again, he has been living with those "new reference" open baffle speakers for a bit now, and maybe he's finding it harder to get excited about a "box" speaker now. Of course, as he notes, those open baffle speakers he has sell for nearly double the cost of the Sourcepoint 10. 

To me the most obvious comparison would be with the JBL L100 Classic. They are very similarly sized, similar efficiency, similar power handling, similar frequency response, and now (thanks to the current sale price of the L100) similar in price. 

@pixhead yes, I saw that. Watched it twice to write down the albums he used for reference so I could check them out. The size doesn’t bother me, (I’m living with some vintage AR9 speakers) but it seems dumb that MoFi can spend whatever money they did (and Andrew’s salary) getting the tooling all done for custom drivers and cabinets over 18 months and yet can’t have some relatively low-tech welded steel stands ready to pair with them at launch.

I think for many the technical challenges Andrew accepted regarding lowering induced distortions goes above their heads. Most people don’t understand the physics of magnetic flux and current induced magnetic fields interacting. And since they can't "see" that they merely look and think, "Oh another box speaker, ho hum".

Seems that those on here who actually got to audition them were impressed. I wish MoFi good luck with them.

But I do wonder as someone did on another YouTube page about how long you think getting replacement parts or getting them repaired, we can expect? For roughly $4K after taxes, many people would want these to last 20 years or more.

Is MoFi big enough to ensure that supply lines to whatever factory they are using in the PRC will remain open? Will MoFi stock enough parts somewhere over here to ensure that longevity? IDK.

I think a lot of the fretting about the stands is much ado about nothing. Some here should write detective novels while spinning plots on places of origin.

And thanks, @mapman for the only honest feedback so far. 

All the best,
Nonoise

I don’t put much credence in Guttenberg’s reviews. I get much more out of his music references that he uses to review the speakers. Frankly, I trust @mapman impressions at CAF more than Guttenberg’s. When a guy like AJ puts that much time, thought, resources, and innovation into a design and is very proud of the result I’m inclined to think it sounds pretty damn good within its limitations. You can’t do a whole review of a speaker extolling it’s virtues and just throw in at the end that “oh, by the way, it sounds bright and revealing.”  To me, that wrecks the whole credibility of the review. Not that I trust his ears/judgement in the first place, so there’s that. Whatever. I’d be very interested in anyone else’s opinions who’ve heard these speakers.

Dare I say those new Mofi speakers could be giant killers. I really liked what I heard. I think they were running off a HiFi Rose Class D integrated amp and the pairing was spot on. Meaty yet articulate with good extension. I had my sound meter app with me today while visiting all the rooms and the measurements reflected what I heard. Clean articulate bass extended pretty well down there similar to other much larger and expensive speakers heard. Big boy dynamics well ahead of many others I heard with puny drivers and way bigger price tags.