Fiber Optic Internet

Ziply Fiber is a new internet provider that is coming to our area. I was wondering if any of you out there have had experience with their service or have used fiber optic internet with your systems?

I am putting together an all-digital front end and am currently with Comcast. At present, I have speeds of 100 Mbps upload and 5 Mbps download at $58 a month and I was going to optically isolate the signal from my router to my streamer with a set of fiber media converters (FMC), but I’m thinking that this kind of internet service would eliminate the need for the FMC’s? Sort of galvanic isolation all on its own.

Here is a link to their offerings. Which of their plans/speed do you think would be best if you think optical internet is a good option for streaming music? Thanks.

https://ziplyfiber.com/internet

128x128navyachts

Hey,

So on that end, protection from surges is a big deal, so pay attention to what actually bridges the outside of your home to the inside. If it’s any form of copper, get an Ethernet isolator (about $40 or less) at the very least. The Ether-Fiber-Ether bridge is also a good idea and one that I use but not for improving audio. :-) I’m just paranoid about surges taking out a significant chunk of my home network.

I have a coax based Internet and so I use a gas discharge tube on the outside, that goes to the modem, and then a custom made E-F-E bridge. It’s basically an air-gapped lightning protection.

PS - Avoid Ethernet surge protectors that have ground wires.  They dont' work as well as the isolators.

Raw bitrate for stereo 384 kHz / 24 bit is ~20 Mbps so even the cheapest plan would be fine for streaming audio. $60 for gig speed is a good deal - especially if you'll have multiple people streaming content / downloading games.

Most likely the technician will install a optical network terminal (ONT) which will convert the optical signal to wired Ethernet. You don't need to worry about isolation since Ethernet is transformer coupled. Power surges could be a problem, but I've never had a network interface die on me through various blackouts / brownouts. If you're truly paranoid, it might be better to use wi-fi.

@yage - 20 Mbps, wow, that’s great. It’s only me streaming music, no gaming either.

I prefer to be hard wired so possibly an isolator as Eric has suggested would do the trick.

There has been some mention about the dependability of this particular company. I’ve also heard their customer service isn’t so great either. All stuff to consider as well.