The character of analog and digital

Having just obtained some high quality analogue components, I want make some comments on the character of both analog and digital.
First of all it’s very difficult to speak of analog in general. Records vary widely (indeed wildly) in sonic character and quality. Digital recordings are much more uniform. When you play a digital file you more or less know what your getting. Of course some sound better than others, but there is a consistency of character. With records, it’s the Wild West. Variation in SQ and character are rampant.

Therefore it becomes very difficult to make generalizations on which categorically sounds better.

128x128rvpiano

I've said it on these pages before that it is a beautiful thing that nobody (exception noted below) who is not Australian can ever come close to naturally speaking the homogenous Aussie accent with its many nuances.

Meryl Streep came very close in the movie Evil Angels.  

“However, to my ears and in spite of the excellence that both are capable of, digital imposes more of its character on the music. “

@frogman

Are these are the same ears that were possibly duped by MoFi in believing no digital mastering used in their vinyl pressings? Experts and hard core Vinyl fans  with golden ears, who claimed to always be able to hear the difference between a digital source and original tape were proven wrong. 

No. I was not one of those “golden ears”….whatever that may mean other than the sarcasm you imbue into the term. I was not there so can’t speak to any of it. I am, however, someone whose ears spend several hours each and every day listening to and as part of the sound of live acoustic instruments; and have for literally decades. I can tell you that to MY EARS digitally processed recordings, on balance, swing the overall sound of acoustic music further from the purity of the sound of live than do analog recordings.  The additive character is more obvious, if of a different type.  Take that for whatever it may be worth to you; if anything at all.

@frogman

I understand the difference you speak of are possibly due to differences in mastering techniques. That’s why I chose to focus on recordings that are faithfully reproduced and sourced from analog master. We all are trying to replicate live music experience in our homes. IME, a properly dialed digital or analog system can replicate that live music experience.

I honestly don’t care to partake in analog vs digital arguments. I been on both sides and understand deeply the virtues and pitfalls of both formats. I prefer to focus on music instead of tiresome and often meaningless discussions on one format superiority over another. Peace!

@lalitk 
honestly don’t care to partake in analog vs digital arguments. I been on both sides and understand deeply the virtues and pitfalls of both formats. I prefer to focus on music instead of tiresome and often meaningless discussions on one format superiority over another.

Very well put. Analog versus digital and tubes versus transistors. What more can be said other than the redundant and stale back and forth comments. Purchase and own what you like and just enjoy the listening experience. Either format is capable.

Charles