Get out and listen!

Yesterday my wife and I went to the Seattle Symphony at Benaroya Hall. It had been far too long that I'd heard live instruments that weren't rock or country, thus greatly amplified. There's something very different about the symphony or chamber or classical music in general when it's live than the aforementioned genres.

We were in row L, just off center and had a great place to enjoy the performance. Not too close and yet close enough to hear nuances. Of course the second thing I did right after letting myself be immersed was to consider the contrast between my system and a live performance. I'm not going to say that my system rivals a live performance! I am going to say that within the limitations that we all deal with (space, budget, esthetics) that it acquits itself acceptably. If anything, it might be a bit heavy on the bottom end. I need to dial back my sub a bit.

Anyway, the reason for my post is simply to encourage audiophile to get out and listen to the real thing. There is a movement in Handel's Water Music that begins with a pair of french horns that literally brought tears to my eyes. Despite all the time, effort and money we spend on our rigs, there is simply nothing that compares to the real thing. Nothing... Happy Listening.

https://seattlesymphony.org/en/concerttickets/calendar/2022-2023/22bar1

128x128musicfan2349

Could not agree with you more.  We go to a Christmas show every year that's held in a church - a symphony playing Christmas tunes.  It takes me about 2 weeks to even want to turn on my system because my ears/brain is still satisfied from that performance. 

Totally agree. And Row L center is a great spot in most halls I've been in. Far enough back for the music to blend (and avoid craning your neck) and still with great sight lines and dynamics.

@musicfan2349 

Anyway, the reason for my post is simply to encourage audiophile to get out and listen to the real thing.

Great advice.

I remember years ago hearing a live piano recital and then it's playback on a SD card of all things.

The playback was very close to the original  but what really bothered me was that neither of them sounded the way I wanted them to.

I later realised that when you've been listening to audio systems for years and years you become familiar by and large with how most of them sound.

You also become used used to the effect of the compression used in most recordings, most broadcasts, most television and most cinema soundtracks.

As a consequence it's easy to forget what real music and real voices sound like.

It's often not like what you were expecting. So, unless you keep yourself acquainted with live music you could easily end up with a skewed reference when judging playback systems.

What troubles me is this profligate use of compression everywhere. It seems to be readily accepted that we don't want our music or speech reproduced realistically.

All those people we see on TV and often hear on the radio rarely if ever sound like that in real life.

Yet no one ever seems to mind.

Good seats in many places (like Chicago Symphony) are reserved for subscription buyers only.  In my suburban Chicago village we had nice auditorium (500 people) and great concerts.  Last one was John Mayall with fantastic band, but the sound was way off.  At one point John Mayall stopped the concert and complained to audio booth.  It was much better after that, but that is the reality of such small venues and traveling bands.  At the Frank Zappa concert in Chicago Bismarck Theatre  (1984) I got seat so bad (way to the side) that I couldn't see or hear well.  Nothing will replace live performance experience* but for the sound I stay at home.

* I was able to get into Biddy Mulligans bar (Sheridan Rd. Chicago) for $5 cover charge in 80s.  Main performer was John Lee Hooker with Coast to Coast Blues Band while his invited guests who performed as well were Chuck Berry and Willie Dixon.  All three for $5 from 10' distance - cannot beat that. 

I have had season tickets to the Oregon Symphony 8th row center for ten years. 7th row center is the “classic” best audiophile seat. But I found in this particular venue 8th is better.

Although, to my horror they installed a cutting edge DSP sound system. Just the kind of leading edge technology like the CD when originally released. In my seats up until a few weeks ago it was not audible (as it shouldn’t). The point was to allow them to tune the auditorium to special concerts… Rock, jazz… etc. and to allow folks in the back to hear the concert as if in the front.

I brought a friend to a classical performance a few weeks ago and suddenly it sounded like a high school auditorium with echoes at huge volume from behind. The concert was simply horrible. Not a nuance of natural sound. I could see instruments in front of me and hear them behind me.

I immediately contacted all the VIce Presidents. The Vice President of Operations responded to me and sat in on the last performance of the symphony. He thought he noticed some anomalies. Obviously as horrible as the sound was he knows nothing about sound or acoustics. We had a telephone conversation where he tried to placate me. But clearly no action was to follow.

Fortunately, my friend who had joined me (and audiogon forum member), a professional musician and professional Audio engineer stepped in and told him in no uncertain terms the system was completely screwing up the sound. Which seemed to get a response. I’ll see this weekend.

I have implemented leading edge technologies all my career. This can be a huge problem when marketing guys pitch technology to business folks who have no idea what is behind the technology. I know of a number of huge companies (that had thousands of employees, that no longer exist because the implemented technology beyond their understanding and destroyed their ability to do their core business. I hope very much this is not the end of the Oregon Symphony as a fantastic acoustical orchestra.