Speaker upgrade

Good morning all, hope everyone is well.

My planned HIFI change for 2023 is a change in loudspeakers. My top contenders are JBL L100, Klipsch Forte IV or Corwall IV’s, another couple I am very interested in are the Volit Razz, and possibly the Paradigm F80.

System consists of Rogue RP-1, Rogue Atlas Mag III, Line Magnetic CD-24, MOFI Master deck and Master tracker.

Room is an untreated living room 15x15, hardwood with thick throw rug and lightly furnished.

I have listened to the Klipsch and the Paradigm, enjoyed them both. They are different animals as one would imagine.

I listen to mostly Jazz, Rock and "American Roots" (not modern country).

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdoyle3433

I almost bought some Tyler H3.5's and probably would have liked them. Tyler's speakers are still at the top of my list that i would like to hear though I'd prefer to hear Tyler's designs if he does some himself.  I have owned numerous of Danny's speakers though I wasn't aware they were designed by him for many of them. They were great and i had one pair in my main system over 10 years.  Nothing against Danny, but at some point I wanted to hear someone else's influence.  If you want heft, dynamics, and loudness,  I recommend my current favorite,  KEF 107's. For my tastes also detailed yet smooth. I've only had them for 1 year, but they continue to impress me every day.  Best I've owned in 30 year search. I was willing to and did spend much more,  but landed on these.  They're great for jazz and rock, but that really depends on whether or not you like their sound signature. They're the only speakers my girlfriend got upset about when she thought I was going to sell them, so I guess I have to keep them. 

@helomech, first you have educate yourself as to what the best high quality best performing parts are. Once you comprehend this, and know how to recognize them, then as mentioned before, don't take my word for it, pull the woofer out and take a look for yourself. Do you see copper foil caps int their crossovers? No. Do you see foil inductors in their Crossovers? No, Do you see Mills wire wound resistors in their crossovers? No.   

Agree, Rockport and others spend lots of time selecting parts for their crossovers, but they are all inexpensive parts. Sum up the total cost of these parts, and it may surprise you.

Why not offer a model with the best parts, At this price point folks would pay more for what they completely unaware of what they are missing. 

Once you hear the same speakers with the ultimate parts, you can't go back. 

@johnss

You’re presuming the most expensive parts result in the best performance. This is often not the case. I’ve heard speakers that used iron-core inductors and electrolytic caps on the woofer section outperform speakers employing air-core inductors/and high end poly caps. If the drivers used in the former are better than those of the latter, that will far exceed the quality difference in crossover parts. The vast majority of speaker distortion comes from the drivers and cabinet design, not the crossover parts. There is as much voodoo BS in the crossover part industry as there is in cables—many lofty claims with little or zero data to back it up.

Maybe you should mention some specific speaker models that you claim outperform the likes of Rockport Aviors. We’d all like to know just what we need to audition to hear what we’re missing. 😆

@doyle3433

The fact that you have Klipsch on your prefered list indicates to me (at least), that you value high efficiency and, perhaps, have some level emotiional attachment to the brand and/or vintage American nameplates. All valid reasons for choosing what to place in front of you in your listening space.

I’m not sure how adventurous you are, but if you’re leaning in the direction of Klipsch, please note there are significant sonic improvements to be gained with some simple upgrades/tweaks. If you love the Klipsch, but would like a bit more "polite British loudspeaker" flavor to them, you can have both. There’s plenty of info out there if you are interested. We’ve been doing Klipsch mods for decades and the gains can be pretty spectacular.

I agree with @glennewdick that it’s hard to beat the sound quality of high efficiency speakers at lower volume levels. Having some simblance of dynamic range, detail, and bandwidth at levels just above the threshold of hearing is sight to behold. Just substitute ears for eyeballs and you’ll get the idea.

Related to the internals: We’ve drilled down pretty deep into speaker guts for a while now. Admiittedly, our experience gets off a few exits before six figure monoliths, but we’ve universally found that when more money is invested in parts (including cabling), sound quality improvements range from incremental to <insert expletive here>. I’d also like to note that there are other factors, such as cable termination methods, that matter -- a lot. Applying "tweaks" to a speaker that you consider a masterpiece in it’s factory form may result in the speaker more endearing to you. Or, it may not. It will sound "different". Whether you’ve made it sound "better" or just painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa is highly subjective.