AT33PTG/II upgrade? Compatible?

Currently running a Nagaoka MP-150 with the 200 stylus. Wondering is the AT33PTG/II is an upgrade or sideways move.

if an upgrade, is it compatible with the Technics GR ‘table and Sutherland 20/20?

been reading about compliance but it’s not making total sense to

me I’m afraid.

thanks in advance.

gochurchgo

Yes, AT33PTG works well. And A Sutherland is flexible enough to cater to anything and the sound is great. I have done that. 

BUT

Stay will MM

Try the AT 540 Cartridge

So many months later I finally pulled the trigger. Only the 2nd time I’ve mounted a cartridge.

im running the Sutherland at 100 ohms and 58db gain (the next up is 64db). Sounds really good. I raised the tone arm up a bit to get the shell level to the record. It’s higher than I’ve ever had it.

that channel separation is no joke on the AT.

It’s my first MC and my first advanced stylus profile. I hope my records are clean enough haha.

Playing with loading. Went from 100 to 475 and the change was slight.. now running at 1k and man the soundstage width opened right up. It was good before but now….. wow. Wider than the speakers. Great bass and it’s got 5 hours on it. Far warmer and supple than I expected.

@gochurchgo 

Thats great - well done.

Far warmer and supple than I expected.

Precisely why I recommend it over the OC9 series.

You want to set the tracking weight at the upper end, and then a couple of weeks when the suspension has loosened up drop the tracking weight into the middle and play with VTA again.

More to come.