Field coil dava cartridge

I have been hearing great things about the dava field coil cartridge with the tube power supply. I am only able to read a few reviews on them. The reviews seem all positive and the designer Darius seems to be a very approachable person . I would like to hear opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of the cartridge. Especially comparison with the Lyra atlas sl which is my current cartridge.

thanks in advance.

newtoncr

@newtoncr 

Thanks. I have heard Lyra's on the SME V/SME TT  on a friends system and did not think it was a great match compared to other cartridges on the same TT. 

Sounds like the Durand works better.

It is all apples and oranges and there are hundreds of varieties of each. Laminate  individual human bias over it all and you have a real mess, an undecipherable mess.  

Without knowing exactly what any individual is listening to it is impossible to interpret what they are describing when talking about any specific component. 

@mikelavigne , That DAVA frequency response curve has the resolution of a 15th century apple cart. Anything greater than +- 0.5 dB between 100 Hz and 12 kHz will influence the overall tonality of component. 

When any of us say they like the "sound" of any given component what we are most often referring to is it's tonality as reference by the system/room they happen to be listening to. It is amplitude response that most influences what we hear assuming distortion levels are low. 

@rauliruegas, apparently Darius Valiunas  was considering a cantileverless design but in reality his design effectively is that way. There is a yolk that his cantilever lies in directly behind the coils. This yolk controls the compliance of the system more so than anything happening at the fulcrum, but the effective mass of the "system" is still determined by the size of the mass and it's distance from that fulcrum. Regardless of what anyone hears this is a terrible design from that perspective. The quality of construction is also suspect from the pictures I have seen. I would never consider purchasing one, regardless of whatever anyone said about it.  I suspect it will just be another flash in the pan. 

@mijostyn i guess we will all just have to be on pins and needles 🙄 until you hear a DaVa, since nothing anyone says about it matters to you. except it seems to be important somehow to you as you keep talking about it. probably dream about it, and have a picture of it on your bathroom mirror.

you never care what anyone ever says about hearing anything, so how is the DaVa any different in that way?

@mikelavigne , I am always interested in new equipment and alternative approaches.  My own personal approach to evaluating and procuring audio gear is different than yours. 

You do not need to be on in pins and needles. You like what you hear an am happy with the purchase. I would never go near a DAVA and don't care what it sounds like because I think it is a terrible design. We can both be comfortable with our own opinions.  

Oh, and right at this moment I am dreaming about the Kawasaki Z900 RS SE that should be along any day now.