Primaluna or not Primaluna

Hej

I have been hesitated some time now between buying new speakers or a new amplifier and have decided I will buy a new amplifier.

My list of demands:
It will take EL34, KT77, KT88 and 6550. Bonus if it takes KT120.
It will give at least 35 w with EL34 and 45 w with KT88.
It will have easy biasing using a screwdriver and with somekind of build in meter. In worst case autobiase will do.
It will use tube rectification and not solid state rectification (because I have heard solid state rectification takes away the tube sound).
It will not cost more than aprox $4000.

I have had a Line Magnetic LM-34IA once but had to much problems with the quality (bad solderings and bad balance between left and right).
First I thought it sounded quite good, but after have heard a Audion Audio Stirling EL34 SET amplifier I changed my mind. Now the LM-34AI sounded just OK.
I was told that Stirling EL34, with 12 w should be enough for listening at normal volumes with my 89dB speakers. But it was not. So here I am…
(And yes I know; a push-pull amp will never sound as a SET amp).

I have read about several amplifiers but none of them seems to fit my demands.

Here are my notes:
Line Magnetic LM-88IA   -   Just KT88. Bad experience with LM, both quality and sound.
Audio Research I/50   -   Just 6550 tubes. Too much hassle when adjusting bias.
Rogue Cronus Magnum III   -   Very mixed opinions. Solid state rectification.
Raven Blackhawk Mk 3.1   -   Just 6L6 tubes. Have to be imported from the US.
Tsakiridis Aelos Plus   -  Just KT88 tubes.
Fezz Silver Luna Prestige   -   Just EL34 tubes.
Fezz Titania   -   Just KT120 tubes (and maybe KT150 and KT170 too).
Cary SLI-80HS   -   Many bad opinions. Solid state rectification.
Jadis   -   Either too weak or too expencive.
Primaluna   -   ???

What makes me a little ”worried” is that Primaluna has so many build in features which are supposed to make my life as a tube amplifier owner easier.
I mean, doesn’t these fetures affect the sound? ”Less is more”?

If you have any thoughts or experience about this, please let me know.

simna

Might want to consider Quicksilver in California. Also PM “ Hilde45 “, as he is one of their many owners, is forward thinking and is a great source of information based on actual experience. Cheers , Mike B. @  Hilde45 

Like @buellrider97 mentioned The Quicksilver… and Bryson, Ayre, and a bunch of other SS amps can also sound pretty good.

Less seems to be available in Class-D.

And of course a bunch of the tube amps.

Generally I find that the speakers and room have a bugger contribution.

@simna

I using 92db Ref 3A de Capos   had them with the primaluna and they sounded good but the decware sounds much better

do they blast the house down-no not with 4 watts but detailed rich good bass

i used the primaluna with B&W 602s2, Triangle Comete

I have an EAR 534 which meets all of your criteria and then some and it is way superior to the made in China Primaluna. A used one should be in your price range, if you can find one. I'm selling mine reluctantly, as I need one I can lift at my advanced age, but I'm in Australia so probably no use to you. 

"But will it really be enough for my 89dB speakers? At least they claims that."

87-89dB is an average rating for a good chunk of the market. The PL will drive most of them.

Other than rock concert levels from the 70's, it should cover "normal" listening levels.

Long time PL user here.