Phone preamp question

Guys, can I take a phono preamp (Bellari vp130 mk2) which has a gain control and plug it directly into an amp (Odyssey Audio Stratos) using the gain control as a volume control or do I need a preamp? If I need a preamp, will a non powered passive one do anything? Thanks!

thecarpathian

@yogiboy ,

True, but can be quite the crapshoot on there regarding tubes as I'm sure you know.

@thecarpathian

I’ve been buying vintage preamp tubes on Ebay for the past twenty years. There are many reputable sellers that test before selling and I have never received a bad tube. If by chance you did receive a bad tube a refund is never a problem!

@yogiboy ,

Agreed. I've bought several on EBay myself with zero problems.

I guess my point was, which I didn't convey well is given the voluminous amount of sellers there, as always, check seller feedback and transaction numbers.

You might disagree but you are still wrong. How can call something a preamplifier when does not amplify the signal?

It sits where a preamp sits, and switches inputs like a preamp.

Also most preamps attenuate, so the amplifier part is not amplifying, and not really doing impedance matching like a power amp does.

+1@ sleepwalker65

Passive Preamplifier In essence is merely a volume control designed to attenuate the signal going from the source (usually a CD player) to the amplifier. Since it is passive, it has no inherent gain because it has no active components (tubes or transistors) in the signal path.