GREAT NEWS! The Coda Technology new #16 amplifier will arrive this week

I was just informed that Coda's brand new model #16, which is based on the latest generation of improvements used in the #8, will be arriving later this week for review for The Stereo Times website.  Since the reviews I have done on the #8 amplifier and the 07x preamplifier, I have received numerous inquires when I'll get this piece in for review.

This beast of an amplifier, over hundred pounds with one of the largest power supplies in a single chassis design on the market, delivers 100 Class A before it crosses over into A/B. The Coda #8, is in my opinion, one of the best SS amps on the market for under ten grand.  I expect, based on the run Coda is on with their new generation of gear, that the #16 will be a beautiful musical performer.  We shall see! I still find it amazing based on build quality/performance that Coda's prices are so damn reasonable.  Yes, the #16 will retail for around 12K, not inexpensive.  However, I guarantee if this amplifier was manufactured by other high-end American or European companies it would be triple the price. If the #16 takes the already superlative performance of the #8 to another level, it will be truly a "killer" of an amplifier. 

teajay

Let us also not forget that teajay raved about the Coda #16, bought the review unit (which was the first unit produced by Coda), and then sold it earlier this year due to monetary constraints: 

The Coda #16 (with meters) retails for over double what the SPL Performer 1200 retails for. 

My view is to stick with Class A over AB. The SPL (never heard) and the CODA #8 are mostly Class AB. I definitely could tell the difference compared to the Class A amps I owned. I recently heard the Rotel Mitchi stereo amp and again the Class AB sound was there. Though I would take a Mitchi over the CODA #8 (I owned) but not the #16.

The Benchmark AHB2 (Class AB + H) is the exception, which sounds a lot like Class A to me.

@lancelock are u really going to sell your Coda 16?  Damn.  Hit me up if u are looking for a buyer.

@gladmo I actually have the SPL Elector preamp in one of my four two channel systems.  Never heard the amp but man the preamp is one helluva clean performer.

@yyzsantabarbara I think my ears are similar to yours. I like the sound of Class A across the frequency spectrum. Frankly, the modded LSA Voyager is more extended and crystal clear on the top end than my modded Pass Labs X150.5 and X250.5. However, both of these amps are quite good on the top end. The tradeoff for me though is at the lower registers including the midbass. Class A amps I have are better in that frequency domain. I feel less bothered with the tradeoff I get with Class A than Class D. The interesting thing though is the Voyager GAN amp shows how very far Class D has come. Bigger better power supplies in future iterations will likely close the gap further.

@jaymark The Voyager only became a strong contender for me after the mods. I do agree it needed more strength in the lower end.

Interesting comment on the SPL Elector. I remember reading about it and telling myself to keep it in my mind. However, I forgot about it and am now considering the Holo Audio Serene preamp for my Livingroom. I use a Benchmark LA4 in my office though I need 1 more source input. The Elector may work in my office with Benchmark AHB2 monos and the LA4 moved to my future Livingroom system with a new KRELL Class A amp (that would be a killer combo since I had it before). The LA4 and CODA #8 was my preference over the CODA 07x preamp + CODA #8.

How quiet is the Elector? Do you hear anything with your ear to the tweeter. I am looking for pure silence, like the LA4 and the Serene fits the bill (but a bit warmer). Though it does not have the same number of inputs as the Elector.