What is the “World’s Best Cartridge”?

I believe that a cartridge and a speaker, by far, contribute the most to SQ.

The two transducers in a system.

I bit the bulllet and bought a Lyra Atlas SL for $13K for my Woodsong Garrard 301 with Triplanar SE arm. I use a full function Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp. My $60K front end. It is certainly, by far, the best I have owned. I read so many comments exclaiming that Lyra as among the best. I had to wait 6 months to get it. But the improvement over my excellent $3K Mayijima Shilabi was spectacular-putting it mildly.

I recently heard a demo of much more pricy system using a $25K cartridge. Seemed to be the most expensive cartridge made. Don’t recall the name.

For sure, the amount of detail was something I never heard. To hear a timpani sound like the real thing was incredible. And so much more! 
This got me thinking of what could be possible with a different kind of cartridge than a moving coil. That is, a moving iron.

I have heard so much about the late Decca London Reference. A MI and a very different take from a MC. Could it be better? The World’s Best? No longer made.

However Grado has been making MI cartridges for decades. Even though they hold the patent for the MC. Recently, Grado came out with their assault on “The World’s Best”. At least their best effort. At $12K the Epoch 3. I bought one and have been using it now for about two weeks replacing my Lyra. There is no question that the Atlas SL is a fabulous cartridge. But the Epoch is even better. Overall, it’s SQ is the closest to real I have heard. To begin, putting the stylus down on the run in grove there is dead silence. As well as the groves between cuts. This silence is indicative of the purity of the music content. Everything I have read about it is true. IME, the comment of one reviewer, “The World’s Best”, may be true.

mglik

If SQ is perceived as poor, increasing SPL makes mediocre SQ less tolerable, in my experience.

Bang on.

And it could be distortions from the system or components, or room itself that is the issue.

In some cases the listeners ears.

If you ask an audiologist you would be surprised at how non linear most folks hearing is, and of course often times people are unaware of hearing damage that may be sensitive to certain frequencies.

In relation to the reference to a db metre used.

These occurrences when arranged are purely Social Activities and used to extend a selection of individuals encounters and experiences, it is all done under the guise of Good Company, Good Food and Good Music, note Music is the least of the importance on a day like this, friends catching up is the fundamental goal. 

Attendees bring along their own Vinyl LP's as part of having a range of familiar materials being presented during an assessment of items put forward to be experienced where a common interest is shared.

Individuals I know, enjoy the occasional opportunity to measure a choice made for an item in comparison to an alternative item.

Individuals are also keen to hear their donated LP for the occasion at a SPL the are quite familiar with, when not experiencing it at such a level, there can be a settlement period to adapt.

The db metre in use is not a scientific tool, it is basically a tool, to show to all attendees, the presentations are near parity in the SPL during a demonstration.

As said, ' Only when all is done and dusted in the comparisons, will the listeners ask to hear a replay of choice at a level they are accustomed to '.   

There will not be any items exchanged for assessment at this stage, but a curiosity might need to be nurtured if an item that is not familiar has impressed and is wanted to be experienced in use that is in keeping with one's usual practices.

If we as a group, were all to agree to add a period to see who could supply the best comedy, I will be the first to suggest that the methodology in use is not fair, and we hook up an oscilloscope, obviously, this will need to be immediately followed by passing the Tissues to assist with the Mopping Up the Eyes Streaming Tears, as a result of the fits of laughter. 

@rauliruegas 

I was banned not only one but twice from that forum

now i remember why i should not post here or attempt to interact with you. 

note to self; don't take the bait again.🙄

@dover 

I use the word symmetrical deliberately rather than the word balanced.

Ahhh... point taken.  If the SUT were truly symmetrical as you state then one could reverse the polarity of the primary and net the exact same frequency response at the secondary.  Some SUT's behave better than others in this manner but one polarity will always measure 'different' than the other.  As for the cartridge we already have the interesting wrinkle that by necessity the L & R coils are out of polarity with each other so this is a much grayer area.  In both cases I would expect these to be far easier to observe phenomena than the behavior of a symmetrical vs. asymmetrical cable.  It is important to note that jut because phenomena are measurable in the real or theoretical world doesn't equate to them being meaningful.

dave

When someone gets banned twice and still feels it is the forum's fault I believe I might be justified in thinking that is a red flag.

With respect to my comment that feeling the need to turn the volume up is an indication that there is something wrong in the reproduction chain, I confess I heard that repeated many times by the sages at the Canadian UHF Magazine, which is now pretty much defunct. In its day (1982 - originally as Hi-Fi Sound magazine - up to cessation of the print version after issue #97). It was an unusual magazine in that it would not review a product that was not up to snuff, and was honest about those it did. They did not lead me astray.