Chord Dave and lInear power supply

I had been using Chord Dave and Mscaler for 3 years.

I installed linear power supply by Farad which cost me around 3k Euros including three separate power supplies.

Wow it is worth every penny.

I get more clear separation of each instrument with more tuneful bass.

Also slight sibilance is  gone.

It is Dave +. after modification.

If you own Dave, you had better try it.

The installation is rather handy.

You need to follow instruction.

Thomas

128x128shkong78

I am a big believer that the power supply can be extremely  important to quality musical component and always key in an amplifirer.

Some lower power equipment can have a quality on-board power supply.  

I was just talking to a friend today and he mentioned Dave as an example where many believe the on-board power supply is excellent while others disagree.

I have a Dave with M Scaler and have really worked to bring the rest of the components in my digital stream up to it's level.  

Now you've got me wondering if I should jump on the power supply.

Jerry

BTW, how warm does the Farad Super 3 power supply run?  Some of the small power supplies run warmer than I like to see. thanks.

I've owned a Chord Dave for a couple of years, but have been very hesitant to purchase an upgraded power supply. Although, I have technical experience, I don't want to disconnect the current power supply and install the new one. 

I preface this by saying that if you use an external power supply on your Chord products it will void any warranties you may have.  That said, I had a customer trade in a Dave, MScaler, and a Sean Jacobs DC4 for each item.  It did make a noticeable difference in the width of the soundstage.  The Sean Jacobs power supplies are large and they might have the worst packaging I have ever seen but they sound great and definitely don't run hot.  

@ricred1 

First I'll say that I'm not afraid to take on any project, am an "expert" with a solder iron, and am currently building upgraded crossovers on 6 separate boards.  

However, looking at the directions to upgrade on the Farad website, this looks about as simple as it gets.  Review the instructions and you may decide you can handle it.

Jerry