Low buzzing through speaks

Hello All,

Need some serious help here. So I just (upgraded?) from a Marantz AV8802A to a McIntosh MX122 preamp. I also just got brand new Revel Performa3 speaks all around (5 channel setup). I disconnect everything from the Marantz and then into the McIntosh, connect the speaks and I have a faint buzzing through all 5 speakers (that was not there previously). I have everything plugged into a Furman Elite 20pfi power conditioner which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit. My power amp is a Simaudio Titan HT200 5 channel. This is not going through the Furman but directly into the other outlet on the same 20 amp line. I even tried plugging the Sim amp into the Furman to see if that helped-no change faint buzz is still there. I have unplugged just about everything, and the buzz is still there. It is very faint and does not get louder when I turn up the volume. Again it is faint and you have to put your ear up to the speaks to hear but it is definitely there. I have tried so many things and nothing gets rid of it. It is not my cable box (I did have that issue previously with the Marantz but as soon as I unplugged the coax from the box it went away so I just bought a coax loop eliminator connected the cable to that and noise was all gone) as I unplugged that and started there.

Any help would be so sincerely appreciated????

kingbr

The first step is to determine what type of buzz you are hearing: Is it ground, DC, or just the Mac itself. If the buzz is in the speakers or subwoofers,  it is usually some type of ground issue. You should check the outlet with a polarity tester to make the sure there is a proper ground: Next disconnect the modem/router if hard wired. If the buzz is still there, the you can disconnect the mac and see if it goes away: If it is ground issue, a ground loop isolator will usually work, most conditioners do nothing for ground or DC issues from my experience. Also, from my experience in install and sales, most issues are the equipment picking up something either electrical or in the ISP and then passing it through the speakers. So if you send the unit in for service, there is high probability of a no problem found diagnosis.

Thanks @jb1. I don’t think it’s a ground loop. I have literally tried everything. I unplugged everything one component at a time and buzz/hum still there. The only time it went away is when I disconnected all the IC’s between the Mac and my amp. So I know it’s not my amp (only the speaker cables were connected to the amp at that point). It has to be the Mac. Someone else above said they had the same problem and it’s the Mac…it’s definitely livable as you can only hear it when you put your ear within a couple inches of the tweeters. And you cannot hear it while anything is playing🤷‍♂️. That said just knowing it’s there I just can’t seem to get my head around just living with it, but I feel short of selling it, I’ve tried everything that’s been suggested and then some-including taking it to a Mac service center but to your point I’m not sure that will do anything😔…

Just wondering...am I correct in understanding that when all XLR’s are unplugged between the Sim and Mac, there is no buzzing? If that is the case, if you reconnect just 1 of the 5 XLR cables, does the buzzing return? If so, in all speakers?

Just for the heck of it, I would also trying connecting the grounds on the rear, between the the Sim and Mac (with any piece of wire you have laying around), and see if that changes anything. Try this with and without the XLR's connected. 

Post removed