Optical Isolation

I have read many a discussion here on AG regarding digital but, I still need some further clarification on the best way to go.

Looking at the Sonore Optical Rendu, which only seems to be sold through Small Green Computer.  It's advertised as a "network player and network streamer" which makes it sound like I do not need something like a BlueSound Node, an ifi Stream, an Innuos Zen or the equivalent, or do I? 

At present, I have a DAC and only want to stream music. I've had a Roon Nucleus in the past and enjoyed it, but only wish to use Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify or Amazon Music at the point in time.

It sounds like optical isolation is the way to go. I just want a simple, clean & quiet set-up, so any advice on this would greatly be appreciated, thanks!

128x128navyachts

I have a friend who went the small green computer route.  The other route is an "Audiophile" ethernet switch.  A bit less money and not sure that you'll get better quality from optical. We will see what others post.  Coincidentally I'lm hooking up my EtherRegen switch as soon as I finish this cup of coffee (arrived a few minutes ago).  

Jerry

First impression very positive.  I'll need to give a bit of time to have more meaningfull thoughts.

Technically coax should be better, since transitions are faster, hence system noise (jagged edges on transitions slopes) does not convert to timing jitter, but coax is prone to reflections on characteristic impedance boundaries (that adds/changes shape of transitions) and transfers digital noise by direct connection of the grounds. It can also create ground loops.  Optical is free of all these problems but transitions are likely 10x slower making system noise to convert to timing jitter easier (noise riding on the signal = jagged edge = variation in time of the threshold point).  If your system is electrically quiet or your DAC has good jitter suppression I would try optical first (that's what I have) - less hassle and cheaper.  Otherwise you need to compare different coax cables.  One with closest impedance match (not necessarily the most expensive one) will sound the best - cleanest (since jitter converts to noise).  Also 1.5m-2m can sound better than 1m (because reflections coming from the end of the cable, if any, will likely miss/be late the edge that started them) 

Any device, like streamer or WiFi receiver (like my Airport Express) should receive just bit perfect data, but can have different quality of electronics to convert this data to music (to add timing) and output it (strong, fast drivers, quiet power supply etc.)  IMHO it is impossible to express it in numbers - you need to listen.