ETHERNET CABLES

When using ethernet for hooking up streaming devices and dacs, what cat level of  ethernet cable should be used. Is there any sonic improvement by going to a  higher dollar cat 7 or 8 cable?

128x128samgar2

@nonoise  Doesn't change anything what vehicles you use as a comparison. Your content or the AUDIO part is not changed, at all, whatsoever, in anyway shape form or fashion. 

Tell me why so many more say it doesn't change anything?

In what way does this article refute anything that I have said? That article doesn't even discuss the physical media. 

@soix

I will definitely try an expensive ethernet cable to see if I can hear a difference after I buy a separate DAC. I will only do it with a blind test though because otherwise it would be meaningless. I will put a blindfold on or put up a barrier and my wife can swap the cables. It will be easy to swap out a 3 foot cable between my switch and steamer. I personally don’t think I will hear a difference because I know how Ethernet receivers work. If it was not a blind test, I would introduce that bias into my listening. I can have my son try it as well. He is younger and plays acoustic guitar so he has a good ear.

In my mind, I believe it will be a waste of time because I know what occurs in an Ethernet receiver and my test won’t change anyone’s else mind because I will be told I have shitty ears or a shitty system, both of which may be true. It will still be fun to try it and who knows maybe I am wrong. We do blind tests with tequila as well to see if we can guess the brand or pick the expensive one.

@fredrik222 ,

You're quite the impossible person to deal with, aren't you? The vehicle analogy was snark. You take yourself way too seriously. As for the AUDIO part, there are way too many people here who've heard the difference and said so just in this post, not to mention all the other threads. 

You yourself doubted that it couldn't get any better and tried it yourself but did not hear a difference. That's on you. Others have and did hear an improvement. Get over it. And while you're at it, watch this video:

All the best,
Nonoise

@nonoise  And there are even more that have not heard a difference at all!!!!

And again, you put up a statement, in this case

And as for the rejection of packets, tell me why this article refutes that and even goes farther than you're willing to admit that it's not a perfect setup.

And when questioned, you realize again you have no idea what you are talking about and can't support the claim you made. This YouTube video is yet another example of your ignorance on the subject. I never said there was NO noise in your home, I said that the noise in your home does not matter for Ethernet that is designed to combat this. I even stated that a 300 ft run through a factory floor will likely cause issues, but a 10ft run at home will not cause issues. 

I get why you say I am impossible, I shoot down every single "argument" you have because they are fictional arguments, no facts or even physics to support your claims whatsoever. But the better position to take would perhaps be "hey, what I am saying doesn't make any sense and doesn't hold up to scrutiny, and I really don't know what I am talking about, so maybe I should learn more".

As for the improvement, easily explained by confirmation bias like I stated before. Again, there is no possible theoretical improvement, the products in the "audiophile" Ethernet category doesn't live up to a single claim they make, yet some people hear a difference. Why? Because your brain works that way.

In the end, spend the money on whatever you want, it is your system, you are the one that need to be happy, but don't argue fanatically that an AudioQuest cable will turn your system into something magical that the neighbor across the street can hear a difference in.

@12many 

I didn't do a blind test, but the arguments on this site and other are that the changes are so dramatic both with a "audiophile" cable and "audiophile" switch that you don't have to. You will hear it right away. I didn't.

Gave back the UpTone Etherregen to my buddy, and I think I still have Moon Audio cable somewhere that I paid $200+ for to try...