SCAM ALERT For AudiogoN Sellers - Too Many Questions

An interested 'buyer' starts asking questions about an expensive item were selling.  Its the usual, "When were these made, any issues, etc."  But then they start asking for additional pictures of specific areas.  Usually not a problem.  Its when they ask for a video demonstrating that it works, with images of all of the accys, the serial number plates, that it starts getting phishey.  The first this time happened we found a listing for our product on another site with slightly different pictures. (The other ones we sent).

Its sad that these people use a sellers time and resources to help them build a fake ad for a product they don't have.  Someone else gets ripped off, and then they contact us and we have the product they just paid for, but the money is gone.

We're always willing to answer any questions and provide any additional info for an item were selling,  but it just bothers me to wonder where this information or the images are going to show up. 

SOLUTION:  Talk on the phone.  Is still amazing how much of a feel you can get with a simple conversation.  

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsalon1audio

I know on usaudiomart you can exchange private email and phone numbers. I always research the person and property address and at times have called the local police for verification. You have to be especially careful when traveling with large sums of money for a cash deal.

I

As a buyer, looking at the feedback can be very valuable.  If a seller has been selling for 5+ years, with 100% or near 100% feedback, its VERY unlikely they are about to start ripping off a buyer.  This is particularly so if the seller is doing this to make a living.  Its simply not worth $1000 to damage your entire livelihood and tarnish a perfect feedback rating.  

The buyers most valuable asset is also feedback.  If something is not right with your item, or the seller is not willing to take care of an issue, just the threat of leaving neutral or negative is your superpower.  NEVER just leave it without first contacting the seller. 

In my 2 decades of using AudiogoN it has been wonderful to find that most of the buyers and sellers here are reasonable and mature people who will communicate.  This is not the case on eBay, Facebook, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

It's actually quite shocking how much information you can get from just a cell phone number. The list begins with your name and possibly address. Some other things might be:

• Past addresses.
  • Relatives’ names.
  • Where you live.
  • Your assets and how much you paid for your house.
  • All your criminal records.
  • Driving records.
  • Legal issues (bankruptcy, liens, taxes, court cases, lawsuits, etc.).
  • Travel information.
  • Social media accounts.
  • Other online accounts.
  • Email addresses.
  • Vital records.
  • Deep web and dark web records.
  • Mugshots.
  • Professional licenses.
  • IP address.
  • VIN number. 
  •