What is the “World’s Best Cartridge”?

I believe that a cartridge and a speaker, by far, contribute the most to SQ.

The two transducers in a system.

I bit the bulllet and bought a Lyra Atlas SL for $13K for my Woodsong Garrard 301 with Triplanar SE arm. I use a full function Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp. My $60K front end. It is certainly, by far, the best I have owned. I read so many comments exclaiming that Lyra as among the best. I had to wait 6 months to get it. But the improvement over my excellent $3K Mayijima Shilabi was spectacular-putting it mildly.

I recently heard a demo of much more pricy system using a $25K cartridge. Seemed to be the most expensive cartridge made. Don’t recall the name.

For sure, the amount of detail was something I never heard. To hear a timpani sound like the real thing was incredible. And so much more! 
This got me thinking of what could be possible with a different kind of cartridge than a moving coil. That is, a moving iron.

I have heard so much about the late Decca London Reference. A MI and a very different take from a MC. Could it be better? The World’s Best? No longer made.

However Grado has been making MI cartridges for decades. Even though they hold the patent for the MC. Recently, Grado came out with their assault on “The World’s Best”. At least their best effort. At $12K the Epoch 3. I bought one and have been using it now for about two weeks replacing my Lyra. There is no question that the Atlas SL is a fabulous cartridge. But the Epoch is even better. Overall, it’s SQ is the closest to real I have heard. To begin, putting the stylus down on the run in grove there is dead silence. As well as the groves between cuts. This silence is indicative of the purity of the music content. Everything I have read about it is true. IME, the comment of one reviewer, “The World’s Best”, may be true.

mglik

An interesting aside when it comes to styluses. The line contact stylus of the MSL Platinum Signature is really quite special. Unlike other line contact styluses I have looked at, the tip of the MSL stylus is broadly radiused. It's azimuth can actually be off a few degrees and the tracking would not be affected at all. Channel separation would still suffer but not tracking or record wear. I have not had the chance to look at an Air Tight stylus but given the same designer I suspect it is similar. The Air Tights were very popular for a while but it seems you hardly hear about them any more. I do think the Opus 1 is overpriced so, fewer people are willing to shell out for it.

It is also interesting to note that in spite of it's rather high voltage output the Platinum Signature's gain is about 5 dB higher in transimpedance mode than in voltage mode. It is also as dynamic as any high output cartridge I have heard in transimpedance mode. What is just as special and the one area where this set up excels over any other I have used in my system is bass definition. Marcus Miller's bass now has almost the same gruf timbre it had at the Blue Note a month ago. I still think the bass could be better but I still have improvements to make in my subwoofer system. 

@mijostyn 

The MSL's super-high ratio of output voltage to coil impedance seems to be unlike anything else out there. In fact there's nothing even close (besides Air Tight). Definitely intriguing - must be some super efficient combination of armature and magnet structure? 

The low 15kHz channel separation spec on Ortofon's MC Diamond is interesting - and it's not just the Anna that they've spec'd higher. 20dB is not impressive. Even much lower line cartridges like Kontrapunkts have been spec'd higher! Probably some of the vintage models too. Possibly an admission that measurements take a backseat to subjective sound quality?

@mijostyn you almost sound like the Ortofon distributor. Their first line of defense was ‘blame it on the set up’. Yeah right, I’ve got 40 cartridges, including ancient ones like Ortofon MC30 and real set up prima donnas like Ikeda 9 or VdH Colibri. None of these exhibit the tracking limitations of the Anna. I know the specs, but they count for nothing. I’ve tried Anna in 5 different tonearms and the issues are consistent in all cases. As said, the new suspension improves things a little, but it still can’t track some of my torture tracks. Perhaps you own the Philips recording of Messiaen’s Quatuor Pour La Fin Du Temps by Reinbert de Leeuw and collegues. It contains some extremely fierce piano and clarinet crescendo’s that all my cartridges can handle, although in a few cases with some distortion. Except for the updated Anna, who still jumps out of these grooves. I hope for you that the new MC Diamond will prove to be a better tracker. 

@mulveling , Mr Matsudaira calls it SH-uX, a high flux-high permeability armature material. I have no idea what this means but his cartridges are renown for high output voltages in spite of having very low internal impedances. All I can say for sure is that he makes a beautifully crafted, great sounding cartridge that anyone can buy with confidence. 

As for the MC Diamond's spec, who knows? Maybe it's a typo or the humidity was really high the day they did the testing. Ortofon is very conservative with their specs. On their web site the MC Diamond's channel balance is within 0.5 dB and separation at 15 kHz 20 db , at 1kHz 25 dB.  I would bet at 1kHz it will be more like 35 dB. I will measure it for sure. Whatever the old Anna Diamond was universally liked and Ortofon rarely goes backwards. The Verismo is robably a better value. 

I've lusted a bit after the Hyperion from SS, and have a Sussurro MkII which is the cartridge just below the Hyperion in that product line. I find it like the Grado Statement 3 - honest, thorough but unexciting. I won't bore everyone again by recounting my purchases of all the MI carts I could find when looking for a replacement for my Deccas. I'm coming to the conclusion that the involvement/excitement that comes from the Deccas is either a very discreet but addictive distortion they impose on the music, or maybe some subtle improvement in timing and responsiveness that makes them seem so real. I doubt if such can be measured, but my ear discerns it.

The cantileverless technology of the Deccas is about to become extinct as John Wright retires with no successor, and the company that made the armatures is no more. I'm hopeful the reduced moving mass designs relying on a strain gauge or an optical detector will simulate the agility, responsiveness and liveliness of the Deccas.