GREAT NEWS! The Coda Technology new #16 amplifier will arrive this week

I was just informed that Coda's brand new model #16, which is based on the latest generation of improvements used in the #8, will be arriving later this week for review for The Stereo Times website.  Since the reviews I have done on the #8 amplifier and the 07x preamplifier, I have received numerous inquires when I'll get this piece in for review.

This beast of an amplifier, over hundred pounds with one of the largest power supplies in a single chassis design on the market, delivers 100 Class A before it crosses over into A/B. The Coda #8, is in my opinion, one of the best SS amps on the market for under ten grand.  I expect, based on the run Coda is on with their new generation of gear, that the #16 will be a beautiful musical performer.  We shall see! I still find it amazing based on build quality/performance that Coda's prices are so damn reasonable.  Yes, the #16 will retail for around 12K, not inexpensive.  However, I guarantee if this amplifier was manufactured by other high-end American or European companies it would be triple the price. If the #16 takes the already superlative performance of the #8 to another level, it will be truly a "killer" of an amplifier. 

teajay

@twoleftears I actually heard that combo and later talked to Clayton who was there.  Actually, I did not like the sound of that combination.

I am debating the 8 vs the 16.  I am curious how my fellow audiophiles park an amp as big and heavy as the 16.  Just get a couple of young strong kids to lift it and set in a spot not to be disturbed?  Set it on a stand with wheels that lock?  I have to get it downstairs so once off the pallet a couple of us would slide the box down the stairs, I think.  I have a PassLabs X250.5 and that is the biggest heaviest amp that I have any experience with. 

Thanks in advance for any advice on this query.

Hi Jay,

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, I've been setting up a new room but it's upstairs instead of down. Carrying the stuff from my car to the house was becoming a pain-literally, because as luck would have it I kept pulling my back just before a new piece of gear arrived. I bought a little wooden dolly from Harbor Freight for like $20 bucks and it made life so much easier, now I just roll that baby right to my door step and then I try and grab a neighbor to help push the box up the stairs, this has worked out great so far.

I'm currently trying out the No 8 and though I only have about 48 hours total on it I have to say it is shockingly good. 

@johngp I did not realize until I looked up the weight on my PassLabs X250.5 that it is virtually the same weight as the Coda 16. So, I can grudgingly manage the weight and size. I have been torn between the 8 and 16. My audiophile disease is so bad that if I get the 8 and it sounds superior to any amplifier that I ever have owned, I would after a while lust after the 16 cause it is probably better. Ouch. Anyways, I will save some money by going meterless. No way those cool meters are worth the upcharge. And the meters on my two Pass Labs amps do not work. No harm, no foul I guess.

Happy listening!

Jay,

I think the "audiophile disease" strikes most of us at one time or the other my friend, it’s maddening. Oh, I’m in the same boat re: 8 vs 16! Decisions decisions..... ha ha.

PS-The meters are awesome in the evening with the lights off however the little blue LED's are bright! I just took a small piece of paper, folded it up nice and small and blocked out the LED, works great.