Better music player alternative to Mac Air / laptop

I am currently using Apple Macbook Air and/or Ms. Window based laptop as the hardware player, and pairing either “Foobar 2000” or “VLC” with the Mac/laptop for music playing.  I prefer Mac Air to laptop because it has no fan.  I collect lawful 16/24 bits, 44.1/88.2 khz flac and good recordings from Youtube and store them in a solid state drive as the source. 

Although I felt the noise floor from this combination is quite dark and satisfactory, I am open to a possibly “cleaner” music player alternative/device (with display preferrably) than my current Apple Mac/laptop that the audiophiles continuously claim to be “dirty.”  The “player” may include both hardware and software because the software I am currently using may not be able to run on the new device.  I heard Mac Mini is a good choice so please share your experience if you had it.  I do not stream and I do not intend to invest in the streamer in the near future.  Thank you.

lanx0003

I started digital at the introduction of the CD. In the late 2000’s I got seriously into assembling great file serving using a PC, MacBook…. Using all sorts of different software. I have used so many different combinations of storage, DACs, and media it is ridiculous.

The first 25 years have been CD only, then ripped files on a computer, then ripped files on NAS, owning high Rez files, files on a streamer, and finally now streaming. Each in its turn has been the contemporary technology slowly eclipsing the previous technology, first reaching parody… then achieving greater sound quality.

Let me be very clear on where we are at this moment in time and where the future is. Streaming. Streaming through a dedicated streamer… allowing higher sound quality than available through CD, ripped CDs and in most cases than purchased high resolution files. For $14.99 / month you can access about 1/2 million high resolution albums and millions more at red book CD quality ( using Qobuz streaming service). With an appropriate quality streamer (not a Mac or PC) and DAC you can meet or exceed the quality of vinyl.

Assuming you are interested in high quality sound and spending less money versus more in the long termed, i would recommend consider reconsidering streaming. Old farts like me have large vinyl collections. I had 2,000 CDs, I gave them away. I have ripped copies on my streamers (which I never use). So, depending on your associated system at most system cost ‘ performance levels you can implement streaming that will sound as good or better than CDs or stored files for the same or ~ < 20% premium.

The biggest improvement in my systems digital end was taking my MacBook out of my system and putting a real streamer (Auralic Aries G2) into it. I quickly found Aurender Streamers and switched to them… great streamers at all levels. Blue sound and lumix are well respected budget streamers.

I do not like mac mini as a streamer it just doesn’t sounds good. Tried it. It’s now my Roon core. 

I know you said you are not interested in streaming music from internet but a network player such as Lumin U1 Mini or Auralic Aries G1 will sound better than the mac mini or the laptop. Just connect your hard drive to the back of these units and you’re set. Used these can be picked up at a reasonable price. 

Travel similar road as @ghdprentice. Still buy vinyl .....rarely. have hundreds of ripped CDs and play them ......rarely.  Stream most of the time. 

@lanx0003

I was in your shoes too like @ghdprentice and ​​​​@jbuhl except I didn’t give up my digital files collection for streaming. I stream in addition to listening to my collection. Do a search for Melco audio and familiarize yourself with their music players then look on line for a used Melco N1A or later music server. Although not a streamer, it will refine your streaming if and when you decide to go that route. It is SOTA and one of the best out there, much better than my tricked out Mac Mini. They are built to last. You won’t regret it.

Thank you all for the advices. Before proceeding with streaming route, I would like to explore the use of the streamer / file server for playing music out of the HDD / SSD. Based on my research, most of the streamer comes with the USB port for connecting with the HD and support the PCM file up to 24/192 and/or DSD (vary in res.) I only need a streamer / server do two things and do them well, which are (1) deliver the digital signal from HD to the DAC and (2) convenient file retrieval / management. I read the user reviews on several more affordable streamers with good feedback, including ifi Zen streamer ($400), BS Node 2i ($600) and Cambridge CXN v1 ($800). If none of these more affordable gears sound good, I will consider going with (much) more pricey options as you have mentioned. Your opinions in terms of the sound quality, friendliness of the sever, etc.? Do these options stand up to the challenge?