Thoughts about the "Cheapaudioman" on YouTube

This gentleman has stirred up some controversy in the audio world over on YouTube. I personally, find him very interesting.  What are your thoughts?

mr_m

I find him pretty funny and I enjoy his commentary. While I have no interest in any of the gear he reviews, I watch some of his stuff anyway. Strictly for entertainment.

@mapman,

I find him entertaining. I think he has a good grasp of inexpensive value oriented equipment simply because he reviews so much of it. I believe he is a good place to start if you are new to this hobby. He is respectful of other peoples opinions, (usually).

He has another channel called the cheapwatchman, although his ideas of value of watches seems to vary quite a bit from them as opposed to audio equipment. 

IMHO

@mr_m ,

Interesting you brought that up (the cheap watch channel). I'm also "fairly" into watches (and you think audio can be expensive, lol). I saw his watch channel come up in my feed, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. If it's about AliExpress watches though, lol... He seems like a likeable enough guy. I appreciate his dry sense of humor (most of the time). I just don't have a lot of interest in most of the stuff he reviews. But I also understand his channel isn't necessarily intended for me. IOW, I'm probably not his target demographic, and that's fine. My only suggestion to him (not that he's asked for it, lol) would be to probably spend some time with some reference grade gear in a good room. It would probably change his mind on some stuff, or at least enlighten him a bit on what "good" actually sounds like. 

He's entertaining and is my go-to guy for advice for family and friends who want lower budget new stuff that I haven't kept up with at all. 😎

I like what he's doing. 

I've heard some relatively inexpensive gear that challenges much, much more expensive gear... so my own niche in audioland has been and remains practical gear that overperforms its pricepoint.  Thus, I hear where the man is coming from.

So, if he can turn people on to some bang-for-the-buck overachievers and help people get great sound without destroying their bank accounts, I'm all for it.  

(... although I say this as I have another live thread currently in which I'm looking for commentary comparing the Technics SU R 1000 amp with the Accuphase e-480... so lol, it's all good 😊 )