Most economical way to ship large speakers?

Good day folks,

I'm trying to figure out the most reliable and economical way to ship 2 large speakers w/i the lower 48 states. What's your favorite beside the big two UPS & FedEX?

USPS is out of the question and delivery speed is not important, as long as they get there in good shape. 

Thanks & regards,

CD

cdd

Another vote for U Ship! I shipped an 800 pound set of Snell Type A 5's from Pennsylvania to California. It cost the buyer $800.00; a fraction of what other shippers wanted. More importantly is the fact that the hauler was an independent guy (this could be good or bad). He showed up at my house at midnight in January. It was freezing! He had a 30 foot trailer that pulled with a pick up truck. I was leery of this set up BUT he strapped the five cartons to the sidewall of the trailer and they didn't leave that spot until the delivery destination. That's important as most damage happens when cross docking. They arrived in excellent condition! The hauler did have all paperwork necessary as required by U Ship.

If you're going to use a trucking company, consider SAIA Trucking. They did an excellent job getting a set of speakers to me that were poorly packed. The shipper didn't put ANY padding on the bottom of the speakers! Still, perfect delivery! AVOID truckers like ESTES. I think they hire gorillas to move their pallets. Also up for consideration is a third party freight broker. The right one can make life easy. I use ECHO Global Logistics. My sales rep is Elizabeth Walker. She's a gem. Good luck. Joe

How economical you want to be isn't worth the cost if the speakers arrive damaged. Its worth to extra cost to make sure they arrive safe and sound. I'll be going palletized from here on out since FedEx doesn't stand behind their insurance. 

I just requested a quote from Uship. I didn't realize that it's just a clearing house for shippers. I assumed that they WERE the shippers.

I just shipped some Von Schweikert speakers that were 500lbs total. i used one of the moving companies shipping sections. they came picked them up put them on a pallet and took them away. moved from the west coast to Toronto (3000km approx.) for $480 insured (Canadian$). they were half the cost of any of the other shippers I normally use like UPS air freight etc. they arrived two week later in prefect shape. 

@jnovak , if you shipped with Saia Motor Freight and you received your goods undamaged then you are one very lucky man, they are no better than Estes. I retired from Saia 9 years ago after 25 years driving line haul for them and never shipped anything audio related with them, they just aren't geared for delicate gear. I did buy my Harleys (3 different times) in Lubbock Texas and loaded them myself on the back of a half loaded trailer that I pulled back to Houston and removed them myself after bumping the dock. Don't mean to come down so hard on the company that fed my family for 25 years but they just aren't geared for that, but do very well for their niche. Enjoy the music