Blu Ray player versus CD/SACD player.

No info on my system, just a general, straight-up question for those that would like to offer some general, straight-up input.

I have a decent analog system, but when listening to CDs or SACDs I have been using a hold-over from my home theater days, an Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray player which can play a variety of discs, including switching between PCM and DSD.

I have been very happy with the Oppo but now it’s getting a little long in the tooth, I’m wondering should I stick with it or start researching a CD/SACD stand-alone player for my digital discs?

Should I get a unit that specializes in music playback or stick with the Oppo as “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” Will I notice a difference between the Oppo and a unit that is built for primary music purposes?

Just looking for a general sense of peoples thoughts, especially those that have maybe made a similar switch?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ian the BigE

ianhorseman

I don’t have an external DAC. I use the one in the Oppo.

Primarily looking for all in one unit, IF I replace the Oppo.

However, guess I could think about transport/DAC also?

You can use the Oppo to rip all your discs to files including SACDs, but to be honest you'd be better off getting a streamer and play Tidal and Qobuz.

Time to move on, keep your Oppo for DVDs.

Budget?

I use a 105 in to a Bryston DAC3.  The Bryston has HDMI inputs.  I output the DSD layer into the HDMI for SACD, and for redbook I use one of the S/PDIF outputs into a mini DSP (room processor-it won’t work with SACD).  Before I had the mini DSP I just used the HDMI output for everything.

The weak point of the 103 is the DAC.  Keep it as a transport and upgrade your DAC

@mahler123 Wonder if you could explain the 2nd part of your response further? “and for redbook I use one of the S/PDIF outputs into a mini DSP (room processor-it won’t work with SACD).  Before I had the mini DSP I just used the HDMI output for everything.”

Not familiar with mini DSP set-up that you mention?

However, adding an upgraded external DAC and using the Oppo as a transport is a fresh idea I might consider?

Budget would be $3-$5K, for either an external DAC or CD/SACD player.