Does Everyone Use 2 Phono Cables with SUT

I just learned a rather expensive lesson from my audio dealer. I always thought I only needed a phono cable from my turntable to my SUT. By adding another phono cable (not interconnect) from the SUT to the phono preamp, I got a nice improvement in “efficiency.” Everything just flows better.

I guess everyone uses 2 phono cables? 

128x128labpro

I don’t perseverate too much on cables, although I do believe they make a big difference. I needed one 22-foot length cable to run from my Steelhead to the built-in amplifier on a Beveridge speaker; the other channel needs only about 12 feet.

OMG thats even worse.

Unequal lengths - so the phase shifts at various frequencies through the cables will be different for each channel.

I cant see how the Manley can drive 22ft cables without loss.

You would be better off running short interconnects and decoupling the Beverage amps - extend the cables between the Beverage amps and crossover. I would expect significant gains with this alternate arrangement.

As promised, I want to provide feedback after replacing the A23 “T1” SUT and  plugging in the Auditorium 23 “T2” step up transformer.

As a reminder my Miyajima Madake cartridge has an output of .23mV and an impedance of 16Ohms.

It turns out that the A23 “T1” is suited for cartridges up to 12 Ohms and the “T2” for anything over 12 Ohms.

Swapping in the T2 had the following changes:

1. More defined soundstage especially at the edges

2. Less congested overall presentation 

3. Had to turn up preamp volume by 20%
4. Overall improved micro detail

5. Slightly improved timbre

However, it seems that I’ve lost some of the “weight” (meet on the bone) especially in the base and mid base. 

Unfortunately this is all happening while I’m trying to break in 2 new phono cables…..the subject of my original post. 

I appreciate all the excellent feedback. It’s why we have these forums.

I will check back after another 30 hours of breaking time on the cables to see if the base and mid base improves. 

Thanks for the update. Cables, especially phono cables, in my experience, can take 100 to as much as 250 hrs to break-in and open up based on the small signal going thru it. Have patience and enjoy.

@labpro 

Cool, thanks for the follow up :)

The Madake (at 0.23mV and 16 ohms) is not as efficient as most SUT-friendly MC's, but it's not impossible either. You'd typically expect coils less than 5 ohms for an output of 0.23mV (armatures using less ferrous material give less output). Optimally matching the Madake to a SUT is likely to be a delicate balancing act. I'd probably shoot for 20x. Not sure what the T2 is - sort of annoying they don't list the ratio bold and up front!