Need 25 foot interconnects

I just moved around my equipment so that the rack with the preamp and digital sources is on the left side of the room and the monoblock amps are just behind the left speaker on a short platform on the floor.  I’m using a 15’ RCA interconnect right now, but want to move each monoblock to just behind each speaker — which means I need a longer cable.  The monoblocks are unbalanced RCA input only but my preamp can do balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA out.  Would a balanced XLR cable plus an XLR to RCA adapter work for this setup and be my best option?  Or should I just get a Belden (or similar) 25’ unbalanced RCA interconnect?  Or is there a better option?   

nymarty

The amp and preamp do not have to be fully balanced to get benefit from XLR cables. While it is true that the simple adaptors that convert XLR to RCA are pretty much worthless, the device linked by @holmz is not a simple adapter. This box includes a transformer which is as effective (if not more so) at eliminating common mode noise as a differential input. 

An RCA connection relies on the ground connection for the return current. This connection method was originally developed to connect subsystems in a single console system, where all subsystems were powered by the same connection to the wall outlet. Whenever the components that are connected do not share the same AC connection, you have the potential for a ground loop. 

Well designed components minimize this problem by using a combination of diode bridge and resistor between the analog ground and safety ground, but, by necessity, there is still the potential of current flow between these two grounds. 

The interconnect and AC connections form a loop. Any electromagnetic waves that are "captured" by this loop will cause a current flow through the loop. The larger the loop, the more this will occur. If the two components are plugged into different AC circuits, the loop can be quite large. 

Ground loops doesn't just mean hum (although AC mains radiation is usually the strongest contributor). 

The Pro audio industry recognized this problem and adopted balanced connections as the solution. A balanced connection does not rely on a common ground connection between components, so it's possible to use very long cables without the risk of ground loops. 

If the preamp XLR connections aren't actually balanced, then using a transformer won't do anything. But most preamps that have XLR outputs will at least use an opamp to create the negative phase signal. 

Obviously adding additional circuitry (including the transformer) has it's own disadvantages. So I wouldn't recommend this for a short connection. But long connections such as the OP is proposing will probably benefit. 

The connection between the Jensen box and the monoblocks should be kept as short as possible, but these boxes will provide most, if not all, the benefit of having a balanced input on the amp. 

I am using a Jensen transformers on the inputs of my DIY 300B SET monoblocks with XLR connections similar length to what the OP is proposing, and they sound fabulous. I also have a pair of Pass XA60.8 monoblocks, and to me and several audiophile friends, the 300B monoblocks with Jensen transformers sound better. So I think these transformers are quite good and don't do much to degrade the sound. 

Thanks, all.  It sounds like the consensus is to stick with single-ended RCA cables of good quality and with good shielding. I’ve had no issue with the 15’ RCA cables I’m using now and they were fairly inexpensive. No hum, no noise.  Open to any suggestions on where to get the best cable at that length at a good price.  Will try Blue Jeans Cable but wondering if there are other companies that can do that length. I suppose I can also try DIY.

The trade off requiring long IC so far has been worth it. Getting everything off the front wall except for the speakers and corner bass traps has been a big positive.  Soundstage is deeper and wider and whole system sounds better.  Everything is just a little better placed in the music now.  

Belden? what kind of cheap monoblocks do you have to use that crappy cable? if you're going to use interconnects at least get the best, OCC single Crystal copper far superior to anything ofc on the market.

How about keeping your existing cables, but get a couple of AudioQuest (or similar) RCA female/female connector and then get a couple more RCA interconnects at 10 feet or so.  Then join them all together and you’ve got 25 feet. This gives you the flexibility if you ever need shorter ones again you can just take that apart and keep the interconnects for another purpose.

I would recommend a good cable company. My minimum is DHLabs. I have tried Blue Jeans and Belkin and found them to be equivalent to the quality that you get in boxes with inexpensive and mid-fi products.